Deaf rattie?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapphy-San

As quite a few know by now, I've resently been blessed with a lazy, but ooooooooh so cuddly and cute male (sia or himi) dumbo name Moose.

I've been watching him the last few days and noticing that he does NOT react to sound. At first I thought it was just because he was used to loud sounds from being kept outside...

But then I notice he startles sooo easily. I tapped on his cage lightly, but he didn't budge. I chirped at him and he didn't even look. Whistled, clapped, sneeze when he's in my lap, nothing.

Make a vibration and he notices, but he doesn't hear.

Should I be really worried or will he be fine? He acts docile, sleeps, loves to cuddle and give rattie whisker kisses, and wander around and gets into things, but again, you can let of a horn and he does nothing.

He sounds like an amazing rat. Love the name too.
I wouldn't be worried about his hearing. Being a pet, he's pretty much safe anyway so doesn't really need all his senses to survive.

Sounds like a big ol' smushy boy. He may be deaf but as long as he has you to love, cuddle and spoil him he'll be a happy ratty. My Maebn is blind but has no problems holding her own but ( she rules the roost), things will change as shge ages.

Back