Dazzle-Pneumonia and Possible Ear Infection

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazzle87

Thought I'd give an update about Dazzle (sorry if any of you are tired of reading my posts about her lol!).

Early Saturday morning my boyfriend woke me up to tell me that Dazzle was doing poorly. She was chirping and wheezing and having some difficulty breathing, and tilting her head. She could walk straight but would sometimes circle. I called the vet and had them see her right away. I was given more baytril and doxycycline (she's been on baytril for a while due to a past infection that comes back without it) and a shot of a corticosteroid, and told to continue the prednisone. When I got to the vet she had actually stopped doing the head tilt thing, so the vet was unsure if it was an ear infection or not but luckily whether it is or isn't doesn't change treatment. The vet could see nothing in her ear, or smell nothing. I can't smell anything either, though my boyfriend insists she smells like infection. Who knows.

So, I brought her home, and her breathing became labored. If any of her cagemates or I came near her, her breathing became far worse from the stress. Getting her out from behind the cage trying not to stress her out was difficult, but I got her into her carrier. I called the vet and drove right back there, for her to be hospitalized and put on oxygen. At this point, she looked scary, I was not confident she would recover. I received a call the next morning that her respiration rate had gone back to normal and she was doing much better. I picked her up late last night after work.

I am just amazed at the recovery she has made. She is doing so well. She is eating well now too. She was so excited to see me when I picked her up, and her cagemates seemed happy to see her as well.

We also now think that she does not have cancer, but her symptoms were caused by the pneumonia, she just wasn't showing any respiratory symptoms unfortunately (as she could have been treated sooner if she had).

Here are a few pictures :D

dazzleposthosp024.jpg

dazzleposthosp008.jpg

dazzleposthosp009.jpg

dazzleposthosp013.jpg

I've had my vet over oxygen but I never thought that it would really give more time. I'm glad to see that it does work and it really is something to consider when the rat is at that point.

When Cookie had pneumonia the vet had her on oxygen then sent her home with Baytril and Zithro. I thought I was losing her but she recovered and lived to 33 months. Good luck with Dazzle.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the good thoughts for her. She's doing even better so it must be working :D

Wow that's very encouraging mamarat!

Jorats, before this I had thought the same thing, if they were bad enough to need oxygen it was probably too late. When I picked her up to leave I thought I was bringing her to most likely be pts. The vet seemed fairly confident about the oxygen however, and I figured it couldn't hurt anything but my wallet to try lol.

Yup for her it sure did, it isn't always enough but I now have proof it can be at least. I really feel like I experienced a miracle. She is doing quite well and even starting to gain weight, I need to weigh her tomorrow but I can no longer feel the spine anywhere near as much as I was able to and she looks more filled out. Thanks again to everyone who shared their weight gain recipes with me.

I hope Dazzle continues on the UP part of getting better! :thumbup: I can totally relate with you regarding pneumonia! Just went through that! As they say, onward and upward! :nod:

Back