Dark urine, orange coloir

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sands

One of the rats is having some dark urine. I am thinking it is my older girl, Mishka. She has been really good and using the litter boxes, but recently there is urine on the plastic trays. I was thinking maybe it was related to her doxy meds, but her last dose was Thur night. She otherwise seems her usual geriRATtric self.

Thoughts? I hope she isn't bleeding.

Check her hydration - pinch the skin on her neck to see if it snaps back immediately as it should. Make sure water bottles are low enough for her geriRATric self. =) You could also offer some ensure or watered down baby cereal. Dark urine is usually a sign of dehydration.

MomRat said:
Check her hydration - pinch the skin on her neck to see if it snaps back immediately as it should. Make sure water bottles are low enough for her geriRATric self. =) You could also offer some ensure or watered down baby cereal. Dark urine is usually a sign of dehydration.

I will check for hydration. I do see her drinking.

You can watch for bllod etc in the urine ....
but sounds more like not drinking enough water.
I find that soaking lab blocks (harlan tech 2014) in water to make mush helps keep my seniors (& younger ratties) well hydrated

Back