Dakota is trying to hide her babies outside of the cage...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaRatMama

Ok, I think I read somewhere that other mama rats have tried this as well but I can't find anything on it now, here or elsewhere.
She is hellbent on taking the babies to some unknown spot in my room. She will run around my room (like normal during out time) & then return to try & take the babies, presumably to wherever she has found "suitable" for them.
Nothing has changed since she had them & she had always been fine with me handling them. Of course, I would do this while she was out, & even if she found me w/ them she just ran away to play again. But perhaps she doesn't really like it? She has never been aggressive towards me though. It's either this or she just really hates this bin cage & it has nothing to do with me... ?

Anyways, I was wondering how normal, or common, it is. Is there anything I can do to stop the behaviour (or relieve her stress, if that is what is causing this)?
It's gotten to the point that if I let her out I have to lock her in the cage w/ my other 2 girls so I can check on the babies, etc.
I literally have to put my hand in front of her (baby in mouth) and quickly put the lid back on the bin cage (to which she jumps & pushes at for a few minutes afterwards). :gaah:
I'd let her move their spot if I had any idea where she was going to take them!!

I think its natural, I think momrats in the wild move their litters if they are feeling exposed or unsafe, or maybe they move them because of the smell built up in the nest which could attract predators. I would definitely start looking around for a cage that will do for active babies, since they are very close to that stage now. Plus a cage to separate out the boys to.

Thanks, I actually do have 2 other small cages for the babies once I have to seperate. Dakota & the girls will get the slightly bigger one & the 5 boys will go into the other. (Plus Charlie & Brooklyn are in the ferret cage)

I clean up her cage daily but she did ruin her shoebox a few days ago & I didn't have a replacement so she may have been feeling exposed.
I bought her something yesterday & gave it to her last night, so I am hoping she likes it & is satisfied with where the babies are now; and also that she stops her frantic behaviour. :?

Yeah, I just saw your message after I checked out my posts :) Sounds good to me! You can check out my set-ups w/ the other 2 cages as well (I got another yesterday). Message me a time, okay?

Back