Cysts-How big can they get?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRatQueen

My old man Sprocket has a history of abscesses that never come to a head, so he's always on clavamox to control them. Well about 3 months ago he started growing a 'tumor' on his rib area, looks like a mammory tumor. So my vet has been tracking it and I ran out of clavamox (my bad on forgetting to order it) and he's been off for 3 days...and the thing has doubled in size and now...has 2 yellowish scabs on it. The 'thing' is huge...i can cup it in the palm of my hand. (We didn't have it removed since he is 30 months old and had a terrible URI we battled, he just got over it)...

So...now I'm furious. Is this thing an abscess/cyst of some sort?! Can they get this large?! If so I'm going to be so angry bc we could have aspirated it a long time ago.

I think I might take him into the other vet that works there and get a 2nd opinion....

536679_10100278241319568_60700884_41634224_731398274_n.jpg

533576_10100278268355388_60700884_41634323_1267703662_n.jpg

On the 2nd photo, you can see the 2 dark spots, that his fur is covering that are the yellowish scabs.

That looks like a tumor to me. I haven't seen a abscess get that big. Tumors will get scab on them too.

That looks like a tumour to me as well. But the scabs would seem to indicate abscess. Although, when mammary tumours get that large they can form scabs.

Looks like a tumour... that abcessed. My Mac got that on his belly. One tumour, 3 abcesses that ended up combining into one, forming a gigantic hole in his belly. And the smell... :sick2:

EDIT - I went back to find my thread on Mac... and realized he was first treated for an abcess and then a tumour developed. But since the original abcess never was aspirated, who knows which really came first... Here's the thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24378&hilit=Mac

It's actually not dragging when he walks yet. He can lift himself up a bit higher. And it doubled within a few days of not having the clavamox, that's why I'm curious. :/ I'm not sure if I should take him to the vet early (he goes back for a check up on the 9th) or what. If it opens up...does that kind of suggest he really doesn't have much more time w/ me? What should I be getting myself prepared for? Should I go stock up on saline and gauze?

If it's a tumour, he can adapt quite well and wait and see until it gets far too big. But if it's an abscess, it should pop at some point, saline flushes will be good once it's opened.

Latest posts

Back