Cuts/minor infections

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

I've had several cases now where one of my rats will get a small cut or bite on their toe, and it will become red and swollen from infection. In the past I've taken them to the vet for some antibiotics, but I was wondering if there were any home remedies anyone else has used successfully to deal with this kind of thing.

I have no problem taking my rats to the vet when it's necessary, but it would be alot easier on them and me if there was a treatment I could just do at home. I'm sure peroxide would help on open wounds, but is it at all effective when there's already a scab over the cut and infection has begun? Or are vet-prescribed antibiotics the only effective solution?

I did a quick search through the forum, but couldn't find anything, so I just thought I'd get some input from everyone.

Minor cuts and gashes and toe bites really don't require a vet visit. They heal so fast. All I do is keep it clean, watch for infection, if there are signs of infections, I start them on Baytril.
Flushing with Betadine would be good enough I would think. Can one get Betadine from a pharmacy?

I have a tube of this awesome albeit expensive stuff called Fuciderm ointment. Any time I have an issue like that I just put some on for a few days and it always clears up.

I wonder if polysporin would work the same?

Back