cut all over her body

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raindrop

Hallie has little cuts over her entire body. I have frozen the yesterday news that I use in the litter boxes, cut her nails, treated her with ivermetin, and washed the cages. Could she be scratching because of the laundry soap that we use to clean the hammocks. She wasn't this bad before.

Ann

Could there be some rough play in the cage? Any sneezing? I would definitely try changing the detergent just in case. The others are ok? How many do you have now Ann?

Only if we feel they are suffering with mites. The rest of the girls are fine. Hallie is the biggest of the three in that cage. I haven't seen any rough stuff with those three. They are will be two on boxing day. I will try and examine her nails again tonight. She had her nails cut once already and it seemed to clear some. I will get Dale to help me hold her. To answer your question Jo we have 7 females and no sneezing.

Ann

There's a couple of members here that are having trouble with cuts/scabs on their rat and it's not mites either. Fidget used an antimicrobial shampoo and finds that it has helped. The other Benzin.fox has been giving her girl cortisone shots and it's helping her too. Unless as a precautionary you can try treating for mites again?

what's the protein levels in the food? perhaps she has developed a sensitivity to it. that happened way back with one of my rats. we treated for mites without success and her cagemate never had an issue but she had all these scabs. i did some more research on rats (this was back when i was still rather stupid about the whole proper rat ownership) and cut down her protein levels in their diet. she cleared up on her own in a few days after that. so i highly suspect that it was a protein sensitivity. she was near 2 before she ever had issue with the diet too.

Come to think of it she has had this problem more on than off since I put them on Living World Extursion. What else can I try? Getting good nutri-blocks in a problem in this city. Do you know what shampoo it was Joanne?

Ann

I have to take the dog to the vet. I probably can get some then. What kind and how much. I could ask to borrow the scale at the vets to weigh her.

Ann

Extrusion is lower protein than most... But it's not impossible that your little one is allergic to something in it.
But, I would try Revolution first. Ask your vet for a couple of vials, I believe the 60ml kind.

Back