Cross post from Rat Forum Vaginal bleeding after spay - HELP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rissa

This was posted over at rat forum and I'm fairly sure that the rat in question is Nala the rat I am in the process of adopting. So I'll cross-post this and in the off chance she isn't mine then at least the foster can get some information.

http://www.ratforum.com/index.php/topic,24535.0.html

Hi all, I'm unceremoniously jumping onto this forum with an urgent question:
Has anyone ever seen delayed vaginal bleeding after a spay?

I work with Little Mischief Rescue (rats & ferrets) in Canada. I have an LMR female foster rat who was spayed on Nov. 15 at a clinic that's done numerous rat spays/neuters. Right after the spay, she seemed to be in an unusual amount of pain. But after the first 24 hours or so, she seemed to be recovering normally.

10 days later, last Thursday night (Nov. 25), I noticed a small amount of blood coming from her vagina. (It's definitely from the vagina, not the urethra.)

Friday morning I contacted the vet clinic where she was spayed. Unfortunately there was not a "rat vet" on duty Friday afternoon or Saturday.

The vet on duty suggested that I put her on Baytril - he thought it might be pyometra of the stump (which occurs in dogs and cats). I started her on 10 mg/kg Friday evening after work.

I also contacted my personal rat vet on Friday for her opinion. She said that since there was not a large hemorrhage and the rat seemed to feel okay (eating, drinking, walking around normally etc.) it would not be considered an emergency and she could wait a couple of days to be seen.

I'm seeing the "rat vet" at the spay clinic tomorrow (Monday) morning at 9 a.m.

Meanwhile, after 2 days of Baytril treatment, there's been no change. The blood oozes slowly but continually, something like a woman's period (excuse the graphic comparison, but it's apt). The discharge looks like straight blood. It's mostly quite dark red, almost blackish, but now and then looks a bit brighter red.

She cleans herself up, so the external discharge is getting recirculated into her body. But I'm wondering about internal bleeding. The poor ratty is now looking noticeably pale, though she still seems to feel acceptably well (not
100%).

I'm getting very worried about this bleeding because it's simply not stopping.

Has anyone ever experienced this? What was the cause and the treatment?

I'm sorry to say that because of complications that no one could have known about Nala is no longer with us. The vet believed that the bleeding was caused by cancer. I'm at work and I'll make a longer post later today.

I've already spoken to you about this, but please remember that this is not your fault. We all know ratties are very fragile, and if it was due to cancer, it would have turned up sooner or later whether or not she was spayed. Hugs to you. :(

From what I understand she was brought into the vet at 9am, she was given adrenaline to try and stop the bleeding after an hour that wasn't working so another vet was called and consulted. Exploratory surgery was performed and the source of bleeding was not found. The decision to have her go peacefully was made and they did a postmortem where the vet concluded she had vaginal cancer and was actually bleeding through the walls of her vagina. No trace of infection or anything wrong with the spay was found. Her sister Mouse was spayed this AM and is being watched for bleeding.

I feel guilty, because I was the one who requested them to be spayed so they could come live with me and I can't help but feel she would have had more time if she wasn't spayed.

Did the doctors find the tumour/cancer?
This sounds a lot like our rats who went through severe hematuria. It was a bacteria causing the bleeding.
This had nothing to do with the spay. ((hugs))

Back