could this be an abscess?EDIT was an abscess popped!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

tinkerbell got this bump on her tummy lower tummy beside her back leg and now it looks red and bruised if it is an abscess what should i do? here some pictures but a bit blurry as it was me holding her and taking the pictures at same time.

101_9721.jpg

101_9724.jpg

101_9725.jpg

101_9727.jpg

i will try and get some better picture's when i can get someone to take them for me(bf not home at this time)

Ouch, that looks painful. I don't know much about abscesses, but it certainly looks like one to me. Is there a difference between an abscess and a boil? Anyway, a warm compress might help it come to a head. Poor sweetie.

yes it does look ouchie :( a warm compress meaning i should use like a warm cloth on it? sorry i have never done this before and very new to this stuff.

also its like scabbing kind of but when it first appeared there it did not seem to have come from a bite or scratch it was just a tiny bump and i just watched it to be sure and now its like that.

That looks like an abscess to me too. Use a cloth, dip in very warm water, ring it out and place on the mass. Hold it there for a few seconds and repeat. I bet that thing will pop in no time. Once it's open, keep flushing it with saline/water, keep doing this until it heals from the outside in.

from what i've gathered from this website, if it has a scab on it then it is more than likely an abscess. To me, it looks like its about to burst :? Mix up some salt and boiling water, stir the water till the salt disolves. wait for it to cool so that its warm if you put it on the back of your hand and then soak a cloth in the solution and hold it over. HOPEFULLY you will get some gunk out before it bursts all over.
my Sid had what we figured was an abscess in pretty much the same place a few weeks ago. I think his came and went before it was a big problem, and it healed up alright on its own (not 100% though, we are still watching it)

(was typing the same time as Jo hehe :giggle: )

If she's capable of holding still, you can let her sit right in the water as well.... but I can't imagine a lot of rats would let you.

Almost looks like a boil on humans. Not sure if rats get those, in any case, I would still do the compresses. If that doesn't help at all, then I'd try meds like Septra/Bactrim/Novotrimel.

My naked girl, Jani, had the same thing in that spot too. I put her on Baytril and once it popped I flushed it twice a day. It was gone in about 5 days. Good luck with your sweetie.

Ditto to what everyone else said it looks like a abscess to me. Davey (also a SKinKid) had a little bump, like Tink did two weeks ago, and I popped it thinking it was a cyst well turns out it was mothing but when it went to heal it abscessed. The abscess was about half the size of Tink's though and I just popped it easy, then it went away and never came back. But looks like your will need some warm compress.

You'll need to soften and saline to keep it clean. Warm compressing will keep it from scabbing too much and bring any residual pus to the surface.

It can take a while, but keep at it!

Baytril can't cause abscesses... it's an infection usually do to a small opening like a scratch, bite or if the rat had surgery and an infection set in. You could put her on baytril straight away or wait it out, some abscesses heal nicely without the help of meds.

aw ok its just here's a picture of the abscess when it started note there is no opening and never was one there :( and no she never was injected. i asked about it then the chat i think and at the time we thought it was just a bump that may have come up since she is hairless and all.

but now all it good i guess hairless have their moments :wink2: im just glad in ways it was that and not a tumor.

pimple.jpg

Latest posts

Back