Could fighting between my two rats be causing one to not eat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimba337

So I've made a post in diet titled "My Rat Won't Eat" (refer to for full story, talks about Remy's weight loss after surgery, and our continuous effort to assist him in gaining weight).

My two rats, Remy and Ace, both had to be desexed due to excessive fighting which lead to ace being injured twice and requiring stitches once, as well as constant separation of the two. After surgery, Remy dropped from .4kg down to .37kg within days, and two weeks after the operation he was down to .33kg.

We monitored the two and their behaviors, and gradually allowed them to spend more and more time together, eventually allowing them to sleep together in the cage. Though, this good behavior only lasted for a few days. Remy seemed to have lost all of his previous aggression, but Ace hadn't, and it actually seemed as if he had become more aggressive. We ended up having to separate the two, placing Ace into a smaller cage, in an attempt to discipline him. Though every time we place Ace back into the large cage, he is almost instantly back to picking a fight with Remy.

Remy barely eats now, and drinks very little, which we are assuming is the main cause of his weight loss. Ace's recovery from the surgery has been fine, and was almost instantly back to normal.

We aren't sure as to what is causing Remy to not eat, whether something has gone wrong in the surgery, whether its the constant fighting with Ace, or whether he is actually depressed (he often just sleeps all day and night, and instead of playing, he will constantly groom himself. We were worried about him being depressed before surgery, due to the separation.)

Back