Corplast Playpens

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisa1966

We just purchased a large X-pen style pen specifically for small animals from Flower Town Chinchillas. This is the link to the one we have.
http://www.chinchilla.ca/items.php?Prod ... urce=acces

I wanted a fairly secure place my daughters could play with their pets.
Well, it took the boys all of 30 seconds to climb up the sides. :rant:
With my two girls IN the pen and 3 adults sitting arond watching we still almost missed a couple get over the top. It really wasn't fun for the girls cause they spent the whole time in there on edge watching for escapees. :panic:

I did a search here on the Shack on "playpens" and most people either suggest a Martins or to make one out of Corplast. The Martins does not allow for my girls or me to "join in" on the rattie playtime. So I think we are leaning towards making something from Corplast. My in-laws are staying with us and I am pretty sure I can persuade my FIL to construct one for me. So what I need is some construction advice and more pics of corplast playpens.
In the "Rattie Out Time" thread there are a couple of pics but I would love a few more to show my FIL.

Lynds posted a pic of hers. She has the corplast attached to an X-pen, which is something I could do as well. I wonder if I should attach the corplast to the playpen or just simply make a new one from corplast alone. (I can then return or try to sell the playpen we have. )
Having the corplast attached to the playpen might make it studier but don't know how that will effect folding it up and down. Our playpen will not be left up but taken down each night so not sure what is the best route.

A few questions:
1 How high should I make the corplast?
2 How do I attach the pieces together?? One pic shows zip ties, I think an older poster in my search said something about velcro.
3 Do you make a door that opens or just step over?
4 For people that have made and used a corplast playpen, have you found they work welll keep the ratties in?? Like could you be watching TV a few feet away and not worry they were going to knock it over, or crawl under or escape in some way??

Any other advice or pics or using or constructing a corplast playpen would be greatly appreciated. :nod:

Thanks so much!!
Lisa
(new rattie owner who needs a secure place to put her rats during playtime and cage cleaning. Speaking of cage cleaning...... :?)

I used to have a Coroplast enclosure, and it was fabulous. I have bought the materials to make another one, because I very much miss the fun of being in the play area with them.

SQ has perfected the concept. Next time she logs on she will have more details, but this is what I have learned:

1 How high should I make the coroplast?
Depends on your needs, and on what is inside the enclosure. If you have things they can jump or climb onto, then the sides will need to be higher to prevent escapees. I had some of mine 4' high so that they couldn't jump from the inside on to the cage of the "enemy" rats.

2 How do I attach the pieces together?? One pic shows zip ties, I think an older poster in my search said something about velcro.
Zip ties are more time-consuming, but cheaper for doing the parts that you don't need to disassemble. If you need to dismantle it when not in use, velcro is a better way. Mine had zip ties for all but the "door". I had a section that was a little lower (3' high), attached with velcro for easy use as a door for humans to get in and out.

3 Do you make a door that opens or just step over? A door that opens is a better idea. Kids would not be able to step over a door that was high enough to prevent escapees. Of course you have to be very watchful when using the door! Mine learned to hang around when I was going in or out, grabbing a chance to get out & explore the world!

4 For people that have made and used a corplast playpen, have you found they work welll keep the ratties in?? Like could you be watching TV a few feet away and not worry they were going to knock it over, or crawl under or escape in some way??
If the fastening is well done and if the height is sufficient, it is very secure. I was able to leave mine unsupervised while I answered the phone or worked at the computer. There are always some rats who will chew zip ties or velcro, always looking for a way out, so you need to check the fasteners regularly. The weight of the coroplast makes it impossible for them to crawl under, as long as it is on a fairly level surface.

One additional hint: SQ puts duct tape along the top and bottom edges, to prevent crud from being able to go down the little "tunnels" in coroplast. This is a very good idea. You would be amazed at how easily coroplast can get dirty at the edges.

ohh i'm seriously looking forward to more posts and infromation on this thread! i'm also looking to make an out-time enclosure, as im finding my bed is completely insufficient - not to mention the holes in my sheets and comforters :wallbang:

I have the corplast cut to approx 3 feet high for some sections and 4 feet high for others.
It depends on how high they jump and what is inside the free range area that they can jump from.
As godmother mentioned, duct taping over the edges of each sheet helps keep crud from getting inside the corrugated section between the front and back of the sheets.
(I have learned through experience but many/most of my info. comes from seeing pics of what jorats and mamarat have done.)

There are several ways to put it together.
1. Velcroing sheets that overlap about one inch.
2. Cable tying (zip tying) sheets together. When I did this I overlapped the sheets but I have seen pictures where the sheets were cable tied together and not overlapped.
3. Duct taping the sheets together with several long vertical strips on both the front and back of the panels. The entire seam needs to be duct taped.
As with cable tying, the sheets can be overlapped or side by side.

4. The "door" on mine is a panel identical to the others. It overlaps the panels on either side and is held in place with velcro so that the "door" can be opened or removed.

If the sections overlap, it is more difficult for ratties to chew apart whatever you have decided to connect the panels with.
If the sections do not overlap, then it may be possible to fold it for storage.

The free range area needs to be enclosed on all 4 sides as ratties may decide your wall needs another, smaller door.

The corplast free range area can be as large as you want. Mine takes up my entire living room area.
My TV sits in a corner outside of the play area.
Escape artists will try to escape by jumping, climbing, putting Velcro apart, chewing seams, etc
As godmother mentioned they will soon discover the area where you enter and exit. This just means that you need to be careful, aware, and check the enclosure once in awhile to make sure it is escape proof. It gives escape artists a challenge as they problem solve and try out different idea.
Rats enjoy having people sitting and interacting with them inside the free range area.
Lots of things to do, explore, climb, etc are good to have inside your rat safe free range area.
As you are aware, nothing should be inside the play area that is not ok to be chewed or peed on ....including clothes (many of us have rat clothes we wear when the rats are free ranging). My couch, protected by blankets, is inside the ratties free range area.
I’ll try to find some pics but most are on the other computer.

The clorplast enclosure is free standing and very sturdy.
Corplast is plastic so easy to wipe clean.
I have found that my rats enjoy having access to their cage when out playing so whenever possible, their cage is kept inside the free range area.

March255ofthegirlsinplayarea.jpg

older pic without duct tape.

May13Faithandgirlscheckingoutthenew.jpg

Having the coroplast attached to the dog expen might actually make it easier to fold up and put away, if it's done the right way. Ziptying the coroplast to itself doesn't really make a proper hinge so it might not fold up so flush.

The sides of the enclosure need to be OVER two feet high... lots of people do fine with 2 feet but it was never enough for my girls, and if you gave them any toys in the pen to play with, they quickly became jumping apparatuses, LOL

i understand the concept of zip-ties and how they work.. but i'm not grasping the idea of velcro...
does anyone have pictures of where they put the velcro on the coroplast? im not great with picturing things in my head.

I used ductc tape, lol you can build houses with that stuff!
:wink2:
I didn't attach my coroplast to the dog x pen, they are seperate, but can each fold up and be stored in between cages when not in use, which at my house, is hardly ever, lol

Corplast is a godsend although I don't use it for a play area, I have it all around my CN to stop the pee & poop from sticking to the walls.
Great stuff reasonably priced. :D

You use the stick on velcro. It has two pieces that fit together and each has a stick on back that goes against the clorplast.
One side sticks onto the back of one panel, the matching piece of velcro goes on the front of the other panel so that they overlap when the panels are put together.

Latest posts

Back