Convenia

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jannekje7

Hi everyone,

This morning I went to the vet with one of my girl rats, because she had difficulty breathing. Because I just moved, I got to a vet I didn't know before.

This guy injected a shot of Convenia. In the Netherlands Convenia is quite new, and the vet didn't really knew wethere it was okay for rats. He tried to look it up and thought it would be okay. He said it would work for about 14 days. I asked him if he was sure, because of the quick metabolism a rat has. He said that had nothing to do with it, because... erm... I don't know how to say in english :oops: Anyway, he said it would work for 14 days anyway.

I went looking on dutch rat forums for information, but because it's so new with us, there's not much to find. I only found one post, saying that with rats it only lasted about 2 days. But there was no sientific research or anything to confirm that.

So, I searched this forum, but I find it very hard to read all those english topics and I really couldn't find what I was looking for.

So, can anyone tell me more about Convenia, a bit simple? :oops:
Thanx a lot!

Greetings,
Janneke and rats!

The metabolism definitely has something to do with it! One member here has had success with the Convenia shot and respiratory infections to some degree. Our vets give the Convenia at 0.01ml per 100 grams at 7 day intervals, not two weeks.
My vet did do some research on this drug and she's adamant that it's not a good drug for respiratory issues. It surely didn't work on my guys. Have you tried a combo of Baytril and Zithromax?

Is your vet a reasonable one, who will allow you to offer suggestions? There are many good combo's you can use for respiratory issues. Baytril and zithromax is one of the really good ones :)

We use Convenia however I don't find it the best choice for respiratory issues.

We use Convenia when we neuter/spay unsocialized rats that are hard to handle/administer meds and they get a shot before they wake up.

The higher metabolism definitely plays a role. In our case when we use it the risk of an infection is greatest in the first week so the Convenia covers it nicely.

For resp. issues we generally use Doxy and/or Baytril

Hi,

Thanx all.
On an onther forum people said it wasn't good, and yesterday-evening our Noa really had trouble breathing. So I went back to the vet. He searched all the books in his office, and couldn't find whether it would work or not (why give it then..?). He gave me Doxoral Aqua Drops... dunno if it's the same name with you guys, but I'm guessing its the Doxy :)

Oh, and I don't know if this vet is good, because we've just moved out of town. For big things like operations we'll be going back to our great vet in town. For small things like this I'll just ask advice from an friend of mine and tell the vet what I want. We'll see if he takes the advice or kicks me out :p

Back