Consistent abscesses... :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VickyJinx

915daf183c43785efa1a4899a915aebe.jpg

I have 2 male rats (Dave and Gary) and ive been told I take good care of them and thwy are treated bettee than alot of caged animals. .. but I feel I must disagree as they consistently get abscesses. I try my best to clean them out but they sometimes come back and other times in different places.

Dave hass had 6 maybe 7th coming up and gary has had 2 and hasnt had one for a while which is good but I think dave will have 2 at the same time now :/

I dont know why they get them as food changes havent worked bedding changes havent worked so I can only assume its 2 males fighting. But to get them snipped is sooo risky.

Please help !!!

Thank you,

Vicky

Yeah that was the first on his face... both had ubder the neck and one on the toe and the latest ia the sholder all places ive caught them mid fight. They cuddle together aswell though and look for each other when I take one out. I may go get them neutered then but some say they are too old. I got them from pets at home, they were way older than they said they were and broken toes and all sorts so I couldn't leave them there like that!

How old are they? I have had healthy male rats neutered up to 2 years of age. Does one boy get more abscesses than the other? Do you know the aggressor in this case? Is there one who chases the other, is there one who starts it up and the other defends? The face bite is probably defensive.

Can you get us a better pic of the facial wound from the side?>

Yeah the more confident and aggressive one is the one gerting more absesses. Ans id say a year or just under.
6bf71149622f027c2efd1f6cda9156a4.jpg
e24608afddb662f7ef51b66e915b151f.jpg

I stopped taking photos coz I got used to them. But the picks are of the first one on the face. Hes just healed up after the second.

p.s. thank you for the help/helping

Any more pics of the abscesses? Or is that all you have?

That could be a bite wound, could be a tooth abscess.

Have you been using hot damp compresses then flushing out the abscesses with saline or some other solution like diluted betadine?

With facial abscesses when flushing them out (use water first, and just do a little, and watch to see if they have to swallow...meaning the hole goes right into their mouth, and that means you cannot flush it.

Last edited:
That's not old for a neuter ... I think I've done them in a rat that about 18 months. Anyway, most of mine have been close to a year old at least if not over.

No I dont have any mpre picks as the ones before are on the old phone! it upsets me to see them always like this but they seem soo happy anyways ALWAYS eating (as per) still love the cat toys and treats to help their teath ect :) thats whats put me off going for getting the snip yet. They dont seem effected at all by the abscesses !

Yeah with the face one I watched closely and they arent a fan of the warm cloth but I still do it thwy prefer a bath and a cuddle in the towel after :) but it bad when ypu need to put treatment on

That last one looks like a tooth abscess. I'd get him on antibiotics. Also might want to do a culture on all the others that keep recurring.

Back