Congested and random sneezing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitsa

One of my girls is making some very horrible squeaky noises when she breathes so I am taking her to the vet.

I don't know what brought it up, she's never had any problems before and is very very active right now. I clean the cages with hot water and vinegar and let it air out, use aspen bedding and keep them away from vents and windows. No one is visibly sick to me so I don't know if she caught it from one of the others.

Rattie001-1.jpg

She does have a bad habit of jumping off her cage and running around the room and sometimes finds things she likes and tries to eat them. Normally I can hear her chewing on the stuff and catch her, hopefully it she hasn't chewed on anything to make her sick.

Respiratory problems are very common in rats, unfortunately, as they all have myco. It's nothing the owner does, just some rats are more susceptible to the bacteria, and will have "flair-ups." Unless you recently got new rats (within the last 3 weeks or so) I wouldn't worry about the others getting sick as well.

She is a beauty :heart:

I agree, you can do everything right and your rat could still come down with something. Hopefully your vet will help out and give your rattie what she needs.

Dazzle87 said:
Respiratory problems are very common in rats, unfortunately, as they all have myco. It's nothing the owner does, just some rats are more susceptible to the bacteria, and will have "flair-ups." Unless you recently got new rats (within the last 3 weeks or so) I wouldn't worry about the others getting sick as well.

She is a beauty :heart:

Thank you, it just frustrating to wake up to that sound knowing they were just fine earlier. Hopefully the vet will have something good to give her to clear up the mess.

I've only been to this person once and she was great but I have no idea what she's like when it comes to medication.

Probably a good thing to read (and maybe bring a printout with you just in case):
http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/myc ... smosis.php

It just has a good summary of what myco is like, how it works, and a few treatments which are usually used. And, if you don't know the vet that well, it never hurts to know what's considered 'standard' treatment in situations like this.

She doesn't sound too bad, but it's definitely good you're taking her in - far better to be safe than sorry! And BOY, does she have gorgeous markings, your girl!

M0onkist said:
Probably a good thing to read (and maybe bring a printout with you just in case):
http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/myc ... smosis.php

It just has a good summary of what myco is like, how it works, and a few treatments which are usually used. And, if you don't know the vet that well, it never hurts to know what's considered 'standard' treatment in situations like this.

She doesn't sound too bad, but it's definitely good you're taking her in - far better to be safe than sorry! And BOY, does she have gorgeous markings, your girl!

Oh I looked into it and for the most part she's fine, only one thing bothered me, she prefers the pet not to eat before a surgery.

She's also the only close small pet vet around, there is another person I can go to but he has only experience from pet rats that are brought in.

Keep in mind that if your rat will at some point have surgery, you can't make her fast. It could be harmful to her, make her too weak.

Back