Common Nervous/Happy Ticks or Tells.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_Vixen

I know that bruxing and boggling can be both a sign of happiness and a sign of stress.

Beau/Bart/lil rescue boy that we took in for a few days has been very skittish, very hidey. So I tucked him in my shirt awhile, he tried to escape me once or twice while in my lap and now he's calmer and letting me pet his head... and he's cleaning himself.

If I move too fast, he spooks. But he's currently chilling in my lap, now occasionally sniffing around and cleaning himself, even let me pet him while doing so.

My own boys only tend to clean when they are comfortable, so I'm not sure how to treat this if it's a good sign or- HOLY CRAP THAT WAS MY BELLYBUTTON YOU STUCK YOUR NOSE INTO!- or if this is just a nervous lil baby rat.

I think you're on the right track by having him out with you and tucked into your shirt.

He could be grooming himself due to feeling nervous...hard to know for sure. The fact that he's letting you pet him, though, and occasionally chilling in your lap and sniffing around all sound like he's making lots of progress thanks to you! Even if he's grooming himself due to nervousness now, sounds like this could change very soon based on the positive results you've described. Sounds like you're doing a great job!

On the other hand, I've seen rats during stressful intros start to groom which appears like a part of dealing with their stress. So like bruxxing, it can be a good sign or a stress signal.
Whatever it may be, I think you are on the right track with him.

I'm trying to NOT give him to the rescue at this point. She said that we should hear from her by the latest, today. No word yet.

By the time I'm off work it'll be too late to drop him by the local animal shelter, especially if we are to immediately go back to getting stuff finished moving over to the new place sooo...

He hides a lot, but he hasn't squeaked when I pick him up since 2 days ago when we picked him up. He won't take any food from hand, but he's occasionally sniffing me and sniffing around when he's feeling brave if he's in a lap. Otherwise he hides in the corners of the temp cage.

Poor Beau does not like it when Jezebel gets close. He's sitting in the top of my shirt, vibrating with tension. Literally, I can feel the lil one vibrating.

Back