Collapsed lung, ADVICE NEEDEDšŸ™ā¤ļø

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil.bo.weep

Hey all, Iā€™ve tried to post on this forum a few times but havenā€™t got a response so i thought Iā€™d give it another go šŸ˜…

My boy Oni is about a year and a half old, he has been diagnosed with mycoplasma and medicated for almost a year now, and has been medicated consistently since being diagnosed, Heā€™s on Meloxicam, Doxycycline, Theophylline and Zithromax (happy to add the dosages if needed)
And he has been stable on his medications, about a month ago i took him to get an X-ray and heart ultrasound where they found he had a collapsed lung šŸ˜“
They decdied to keep him on his medication and see how he goes with nebulising at home.
ive noticed that in the last week or so his breathing has got a little heavier, and heā€™s not as active as usual (although he is a very lazy boy usually anyway) something just doesnā€™t seem right, Iā€™m not sure what to do from here, is there any way to help him? He is my absolute everything and Iā€™m at a hault with knowing what else I can do at this point, any advice would be extremely appreciated šŸ˜“ā¤ļø

ok a collapsed lung is a whole different emergency, do you think they meant consolidated? Where scarring or lung abscesses have filled up and hardened the lung so it was not functioning well?

Thank you so so much for the reply
Iā€™ve booked another vet appointment for him tomorrow so I will ask them if thatā€™s the case, I havent heard of consolidated before, I can ask for a copy of the X-ray to post here if that helps?
all they said to me was that his lung was collapsed after the X-ray šŸ˜“
his breathing has been going downhill a bit in the past week and heā€™s getting more lazy, he still eats but doesnā€™t have the appetite he use to, Iā€™ve noticed him laying in his wooden house on the bottom floor a bit more often, Iā€™m not sure if heā€™s comfortable there or potentially struggling a little more? There are hammocks everywhere and ladders for easy access on every level.
Another thing Iā€™m rather worried about is that when I nebulize him in a plastic container, he stresses quite a bit and tryā€™s to chew his way through, or poops quite a bit (stress pooping maybe?)but when he is in the container I can hear the nebulizer working as he gets more rattly in the chest like heā€™s about to sneeze some up, but as soon as I take him out of the nebulizer and put him back in his hammock he goes quiet again, almost like as soon as he is still the mucus stays in place and doesnā€™t come up.When I ask the vets about these things they never really have an answer, is there anything else I can do? At all? šŸ˜“šŸ˜“

If you watch any hospital tv show or movie, a collapsed lung is immediately serious and they have to put in a chest tube right then and there to re-inflate it, so it's likely his lung is not functioning which would account for everything you are saying. I assume you are nebulizing with theophylline and saline? You might want to ask for an oral steroid and stop the metacam (steroids and NSAIDs cannot be given together and there should be a 24 minimum period between them), and the theophylline. The steroid should reduce the inflammation in the lungs and improve his breathing for awhile. Unfortunately it won't last but hopefully gives you both more time.

I nebulize with saline, he is on theophylline as a medication as with the rest,I didnā€™t know you could use It to nebulize as well? is there anything else I should ask the vet tomorrow? Or any more ways I could keep him comfortable?

thank you so so much, I will persist, Oni is my everything and I couldnā€™t stand to lose him, Iā€™ll post tomorrow with photos of the Xray and updates, hopefully we can do something šŸ™

Could the Metacam partially be the reason he is extra lazy? I heard it can do that. Also, he is on 1.2ml of Theophylline, 0.07 Doxy, 0.2 Zithro, and 0.2 metacam does that all sound about right for this situation? The vets havenā€™t really changed anything since his decline, nor really said anything about what we can do about it šŸ˜“

Back