Clingin Vine boy.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panic xx

Last night I was about to go to bed when I noticed my twenty five (almost twenty six) month old boy making so much noise. So, I went to see what his problem was and when I got there, he just went ballistic. He slammed himself against the cage doors, chewed and pulled on the cage bars, hopped around, and squealed - I actually thought he was going to bust out of his cage and topple onto the floor. I was actually really tired so I thought of just ignoring it and going to bed anyway, but then these images of him escaping and my dog getting him flashed in my head. Anyway, I ended up taking him out and he quickly hopped on my shoulder where I began stroking him and cuddling him. So after awhile, he fell asleep and I continued to walk around my room and stroke him while my other hand was behind his butt, supporting him. An hour after, I decided to put him back in his cage, he didn't agree it was such a good idea and put up a fuss, but I got him in his cage and he looked at me for a while, then went and cuddled up with Moose. This started at 12:35 and ended at around 1:50.

I'm not sure if this is normal behavior. I mean, Elk has his out time for at least an hour and a half everyday, but he seemed so ... I don't know how to put it ... desperate to get to me? I feel so bad when I had to put him back but I was so tired I thought I was going to fall asleep standing up. And about the hopping and ramming into his cage, I was also wondering if that's normal. I don't know if I'm being over worried, but it freaks me out sometimes. He's done this twice now.

Actually, I'm planning on getting him to a vet soon, I just have to find one in my area that takes exotics. And no, he has his brother, Moose, who is the same age as him.

Back