Cleaning fees in Ontario

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuncyTheFrog

Quick question because you lot seem to be good at answering tenant act questions...

I was living in residence, and was forced to move out before all of my other roommates (24 hours after your last exam). I got a bill yesterday for cleaning charges; my roommates had left the kitchen a mess, according to them. This seems extremely unfair to me, considering I wasn't even allowed to go in the residence in order to make sure it was clean by the time all of my roomies had moved out.

I know that tenants are supposed to be responsible for keeping the leased property clean, but what would be the guidelines in a situation like this?

Unfortunatly I don't think that college/university residence has the same rules as a lease and I think when you signed the residence agreement you agreed to those terms which included the being out 24 hours after your last exam and them being allowed to charge you cleaning fees. Sorry.

Well, being pet owners, we all know that some clauses are void before they're even put on paper, so I was just hoping for something :D

I never did understand why university dorms are under different rules than any other lease I've signed, though.

When I moved out of residence they inspected our room before we left and made you clean up anything they deemed "unsanitary".
I know it was in the contract I signed that if they had to bring in cleaning people after the fact, that it was taken out of our $250 deposit...

Back