Clara & Hilda's spay went OK!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I'm relieved, as usual. Just called the vet's. He said they could go home early this afternoon, but I have obligations at work til the end of the day. Wish I could play hookey and go to get them!! Maybe I will work on finding a way to go early.

I always fret til I see them and can give them a get-well kiss.

Oh I am very glad....It is amazing how well the little girls do. Miss Misa acted like nothing happened. I had to actually pick her up and check her belly...I thought they had forgotten to do her.

Despite the summer weather I decided to put in the Snuggle Safe in the cage in case they needed it. They both snuggled up in it for about an hour, then they were OK without it.

Both their incisions look great, and they were hungry and active this morning. They tucked into some mushed lab blocks, whereas yesterday they would only eat baby cereal.

their favourite sleeping spot is one of Dearpie's Wall Hangings, so I made sure they had a clean one when they went back into their cage.

:heart: I'm so glad they're OK!

I do that as well....Clean the whole cage before they go back in after surgery....
Funny really when you think of it because they probably will crawl in the litter box, have a pee and lie down for a nap.....

So I talked to the vet this afternoon and let him know they were doing well. He said that he used different sutures on the two of them, wanting to compare how the girls fare as they recover. He did one of them (Hilda) with catgut. That's the material he started using with neuters. It is more irritating to tissue, but it dissolves very soon. The usual suture material is less irritating but dissolves more slowly.

So many males seem to get sterile abscesses in response to sutures. The catgut seems to dissolve before long-term irritation can occur. Any short-term irritation is less problematic because the rat takes a while to get rid of the anaesthetic and then (often) gets Metacam for a few days.

Anyway, both girls seem to be doing well. I tried to take photos today after work, but they didn't come out all that well. Tomorrow or on the weekend I'll post them and maybe take some more.

BTW, the vet said it was hard to find Clara's uterus because she has a lot of abdominal fat. My girls are like Jack Spratt and his wife! Hilda just doesn't gain weight no matter what (other than a little since I got her because of improved diet), and Clara gains easily. They both get fed the same, but Clara loves to eat and Hilda eats the minimum for survival... she's too antsy to sit still long enough.

That's very interesting about the suture material. I wonder what my vet uses. We've never had a neuter abscess and our boys don't need metacam after their neuters. (so far so good)

As for the fat, watch that one more closely. When there's more fat like that, the animal feels more pain. And the rat doesn't necessarily need to be a fat girl. You can have a skinny girl yet have more fat in that general area.

Yes, Jo, I am quite concerned about the abdominal fat. She is slim otherwise. I recall that Edith had a really rough time after her spay. She was also close to a year old and had gained weight.

Luckily Clara seems more fortunate. She is not as heavy as Edith was, and she seems to be recovering OK. I am giving her Metacam to be sure. She's active and has a good appetite. Fingers crossed.

Your vet may already use the quick-dissolving sutures. It seems like a logical explanation for the problems that many males have after their neuters. My vet did the neuters on all three of my boys, and none of them had any complications afterward. It was such a relief to me after the experiences that some people had had.

Misa made out the best of all my girls...none seemed to have pain but a bit sleepy and moved a bit slower...but Misa was zipping and acting like nothing happened

Back