Chinchilla - pain meds?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cigar

My friends Chin has been acting weird for about a week. I don't know why it took someone so long to check him but he's in pain. He's hunched, breathing hard, and chewing on his foot. One toe is fine, the middle/end is swollen, and in between the middle and last toe there's blood. I've cleared the debris, soaked it in warm salt water, and cleaned his bath house out. Instead of sand, I've stuck a clean cloth in there.

I'm going to be home all week so I intend to check on him regularly. Can chins have baby motrin or anything like ratties can? He needs to stop chewing it if the swelling is going to go down enough to tell if he's ripped a nail or worse. :( I've told them he needs a foot soak twice a day to keep it clean.

Thanks!!

I think bunnies and GPs can be given Metacam but I don't know if the same applies to chins. Is he eating normally? With herbivores it's really important that they are continuously eating or they can go into stasis and die from that.

victoria said:
Is he eating normally? With herbivores it's really important that they are continuously eating or they can go into stasis and die from that.

Good question. I asked and told her what you said. Of course, she acted like a know-it-all.. and then went to check his dish, only to find that he hasn't been eating. Her mom is a backyard breeder of Schnauzers or Bichons or something so she thinks that she knows EVERYTHING. :wallbang:

That drug chart was great, Shel, thanks so much. I pulled it up on my friends laptop for them. I really hope she does buy him some Motrin.. the poor chinboy didn't even move from the spot I put him in after a soak and cuddle. Broke my heart. :sad3:

You need to get the chin eating ASAP, then try to get to a vet tomorrow. If you can get Oxbow Critical Care (doubtful tonight) or canned pumpkin (only pumpkin, nothing else) or squash baby food - you need to get the digestive tract mechanics moving again. It is really, really bad when herbivores don't eat and they can die from it, regardless of what happens with the original condition (in this case the injured foot). Try mixing the pumpkin purée or baby food with water and feeding it through a syringe, ANYTHING to get him to eat. There's something else you can get from the drug store to help get things moving again... I have to search for it and then I'll come back and post the name if I can find it. (Benebac, if you have it on hand, would also be helpful at this point.)

ETA: Ovol Gas Drops are recommended for buns that are not eating, as is Pedyalite to help with dehydration. I'm sure a homemade dehydration formula would help here as well. Pineapple and Papaya also have digestive enzymes that would help get his system moving again, if you have those on hand.

Thankyou for all of that information, I pasted it directly into a message and sent it to her so that she can see for herself. He reminded me of the ratties when they go downhill; unmoving, hunched, breathing heavily.. He did poop on me though while I soaked his foot so his digestive system isn't shot yet, right?

I wish she took her animals more seriously. It's not for lack of love, it's lack of admitting she doesn't know things.

I hope she smartens up... if the chinchilla does not start eating very soon he needs to see a vet. I'm sorry if I sounded like I was coming down on you in my last post, I know it's not your pet, I just wanted to get across the urgency of the situation and was more concerned with finding the name of the OTC remedy. It's very likely that some of the pain and lethargy is caused by digestive issues.

No, no. Not at all. I'm glad you were very direct. She's feeding him nuts right now [supposedly his favorite treat] and he's become interested in nibbling again, but I don't know how chins react to high protein. Later tonight I'll sneak a peak at his poor foot. :/

Ugh, I have a feeling nuts are a huge no no for chins... he needs fibre, digestive enzymes, and flora to help him get back to normal. If you can get Oxbow Critical Care from a vet that would really help.

Back