Chin Rubbing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsby

I know I posted something similar last week, but the behavior has resumed. My boy SweetPea was exhibiting some odd behavior last week-rubbing his chin on the couch during his out time. Well, we took him to the vet and he had an overgrown tooth that was trimmed. He resumed normal behavior and has been eating normally and everything, but tonight he is rubbing his chin on the couch again and seems a bit slower than normal. Does he just have an itch that he can't reach? He lets me handle him without problems so I don't think he is in pain...He is my first Sr. Citizen rattie, so I do not know what is normal aging vs. concerning symptom. He is showing signs that his hind end is going, his back feet more "paddle" than walk, and he doesn't climb as much anymore but seems generally happy. I don't hear any noises when he breathes and there is no noticeable discharge from eyes or nose. Do I need to be concerned?

If your old fella had a overgrown tooth that required trimming this may be something that you will need done every 3 weeks or so. Can you check his mouth to see if there are problems with any of the other teeth?

I would think it's because of his teeth again. I've never seen a rat to the chin rubbing for trying to reach a scratch, not even those that had severe hind end degeneration.

Back