Chicken Bones!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samii

Yah, I ask a lot of questions. But it's only because I love my rats and want them to be healthy and happy. :3

I ate KFC tonight and was wondering if the bones from my chicken would be fine for them? I know the seasoned meat isn't good, but what about the bones? I've read chicken bones are good for them as well and are good chews. Just need a quick answer before I give them their special treat. :)

You don't give cooked bones, especially chicken bones, to dogs because they splinter, forming sharp slivers of bone. I don't know if that would be a problem with rats because they gnaw them instead of crushing them.

I don't think it would be a problem. They'd just turn it into dust like they turn the rat blocks. That's my theory anyways. I've read that they're perfectly fine, but I don't want to go off of just what I've read y'know?

How about this, I'll give it to them during playtime so I can monitor them. That way, If I notice them making any splinters I can just take them away. I don't think it'll be a problem, but they're just like 3 year olds. They can get into all sorts of trouble if left unsupervised, even if it's just eating a chicken bone. :)

Mine always get chicken bones. Just be careful that they don't fall out of the cage if you have dogs. I've found them on the floor outside the cage often. And have enough for everyone or there will be fights. My girls love them, the boys have no interest.

Well we'll find out if they like them or not! I have a feeling they will. Well, Simon will for sure but Luffy is pickier so we'll see. :)

I don't think rat mouths are big/strong enough to crush and splinter the bones like dogs, so I think it would be ok. My understanding is that they would mostly just gnaw on them and turn to powder.. That being said, I would be a bit concerned about the amount of grease on the bones, since KFC is very greasy.. I'd maybe rinse them off a bit before giving it to them, since rats should not have too much fat in their diet.

Yup, I rinsed them off pretty thoroughly to get the grease and whatever chicken might be left on them. :3

Back