CHF / Scarred Lungs?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby is now 23 months old, 24 months in less than a month. He delt with resp infections from 11 months of age to 19 months of age, he was on all kinds of meds ..finally everything cleared up (porph, sneezes, clicky breathing) so we stopped the meds and he has been doing great ever since except for when he gets excited (you go to take him out or go to the cage with treats) he makes funny breathing sounds ..but no gasping for air or anything ..just sounds and only when excited ..when he is eating blocks, sleeping or just roaming his cage he is fine. He is still active when out in his play area, out roaming around the room, etc ..but he has always slept a lil more than the others and he has always been more cuddly than the others. We got an xray done 3 months ago, nothing showed around his heart, his feet, etc are not cold or blue. My vet says the sounds are from scarred lungs from the 8 months of URI's. I have a check up apt for the Oscar, Teddy, Toby and Bella (my oldies) the first week in May ..should I see if my vet will let us try the heart meds or do you think this is just scarred lungs?

It could very well be scarred lungs or other damage to the respiratory system. If he's not showing any symptoms of heart disease, I don't think I'd put him on meds.

Alright!

So these symptoms do sound life scarred lungs or damaged respiratory? I'm not familar with either.

I have no experience with CHF, oddly enough, it has never been a common issue for us. We've had 2 rats with CHF but by the time we caught it, the rat had passed and the necropsy showed CHF. For our two, we saw swelling of the extremities and also a larger body.

Okay! Well there is no swelling, blue or cold extremities. No trouble breathing, just awful sounds when he gets excited. He has really thick fur (what do you mean by larger body?) ..he is more relaxed and chill compared to my other boys ..but he always has been!

I'm thinking scarred lungs or resp damage also ..just wanted some opinions! Thanks.

I have had a very large number of rats with heart problems.
The only indication has been respir problems that do not respond to the various combos of antibiotics.
I have tried them on heart meds and they improved.

If it is due to scarred lungs, your vet should be able to tell from xray or if you test dose with enalapril (0.25 mg/Ib or 0.25 mg/454.4g, twice a day). , it will not help

Back