CHF question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderrodent

I know many of you had to deal with CHF so I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions. I had to bring Morgan up to my vet today for possible CHF (I am a wreck right now :sad3: ). Morgan is in an oxygen chamber now and my vet gave her lasex (you could hear the fluid in her lungs).
I understand that every case is different and CHF can have many symptoms. Anyway:
How well do ratties in general respond to lasix? Is this an injection?
If that doesn't work what other meds might help? I read enalapril and/or atenolol
If it is CHF how long can ratties (comfortably) live with it? What are your experiences?

Morgan's sister died of CHF not too long ago.
Thanks!

lasix (furosemide) can be oral or injectable.

I find a basic treatment for CHF is lasix and enalapril or benazepril (fortekor), then there are other things you can add in later on if you are not getting the results you wanted. I have gotten months from my CHF rats and actually have a girl right now who is 14 months. She is much happier on the meds (lasix and enalapril orally twice a day) and I think we may have some really quality time together.

My thoughts are with you and your Morgan Astrid. :sad3:

Thank you so much, Shelagh! Oh, I remember now seeing something about CHF! I can look for it so you don't have to go through the trouble. I know you have tons of other things to do.

Thank you!

The 3 meds for heart problems are
1. lasix (furosemide), which is a diuretic so monitor for dehydration
2. enalapril (ACE- inhibitor)
3. atenolol (beta blocker)

If the rat has an enlarged heart as seen on an xray, then
4. digoxin needs to be added to the other 3 heart meds

Sometimes a bronchodilator and predisone can help.
There are also suppliments used for people that may have some benefits
ie. omega-3 oils in flax oil, co-enzyme Q10, etc. (see rat health care book, http://www.ratfanclub.org)
===========================================================
Very, very sorry.
I have had rats live a good quality life for quite a few months, others much shorter ...
I think it depends on how the disease is progressing in each rat and the speed at which the disease is progressing.

Astrid, so sorry that your ratty has CHF. I have had three rats with that problem, and each one lasted longer than the one before. I think it's partly because of knowing more about it so that it gets diagnosed & treated sooner. Georgie was diagnosed last May and she died only a couple of weeks ago. She had lots of quality time until the end, although she would have bad bouts for a day or so here & there.

One thing I found is that they seem to do better if the meds are compounded frequently; get the pharmacist to do the ACE-inhibitor for at most a month at a time. In theory it can last up to three months, but the stuff does deteriorate over time. Ditto for Digoxin and Atenolol.

I hope that you have lots of good times left with your sweet Morgan.

Back