Chewing on lava cage accessories?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramma2jaakk

I got some lava items for the girls cages, to help with their sharp nails. They seem to be doing the trick, as Molly’s nails are not as sharp as before. But now Amy is chewing on them! They look like the one this chinchilla is sitting on:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=19806

Is this ok for her to do? It might be ok to keep her teeth trimmed, but she doesn’t have a problem with that. That link says the lava items are chew-safe and color-safe for pets. I can’t imagine that chewing on stone can be good for her. Any ideas?

Anita

I guess my posts during this past week make it sound like my girls are into eating strange things, like fish food and now rocks. Silly girls!

The lava stone is very porous and would break down easier than you'd think.

I don't think chewing on them is an issue, unless you are dealing with a rat with particularly soft/unhealthy teeth.

Thank you for the replies! Amy hasn't chewed on the lava shelf for 2 days now, but I'm really not sure how long she had been chewing on it. We only noticed it on Sunday evening. I saw she was sitting on it like she was eating something, but when Neal checked on her he said there was nothing in her hands. THEN he noticed the end of the shelf had been chewed on, and Amy was going back for more.

Anita

mamarat said:
What's the iron content in the lava stuff?

Oooo, I am not sure! I will have to go to a few stores to look for them, since I can find them sporatically. And I really don't know if the package even says how much iron is in them. But I will check! Thank you for that thought.

Anita

I have a couple "lava ledges". I think the biggest drawback is the horrible sound made when they chew on them. The ones I have were designed for chinchillas to chew on, so I doubt they are a problem for our fuzzies.

Rodentist said:
I have a couple "lava ledges". I think the biggest drawback is the horrible sound made when they chew on them. The ones I have were designed for chinchillas to chew on, so I doubt they are a problem for our fuzzies.

Amy was being very... very... quiet while chewing on it. And she still hasn't done any chewing on it since that night Neal saw her. So now I'm wondering if she found something on it (something that tasted good) and decided to make a snack.

Anita

Back