Change in behavior- antisocial

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chel

My little Petunia has seemed a bit odd lately. she was very nervous when I first got her but with a lot of work she had begun coming out of her cage on her own, giving kisses and just being a lot of fun in general. she also played very well with Rose, her cage mate. A couple of weeks ago I started noticing that when I opened the cage, even with a treat she wouldn't come out, started running from my hand when I tried to pick her up. This was around the time that Dahlia was introduced (it seemed like a seamless intro at the time). I noticed she wouldn't sit with Rose and Dally (Dahlia) on top of their cube and seemed to avoid them too. There is no porph around her nose, I thought she had been sneezing but there is no labored breathing, nothing. Living in a bachelor I hear everything they do, and I haven't noticed any squeaking or anything so I didn't think she was getting beat up. She is SUPER nervous now, even bit my hand (if only lightly) one time when I was filling up their food dish. Sitting here writing an essay I noticed Dally chasing her around and then pinning her and grooming her like crazy. is that normal? should I be worried? Does that explain the change in Petunia? Whats going on? i'm just concerned for her happiness and I'm afraid that her and Dally aren't getting along, but it seems that Rose and Dally are doing just great. any suggestions?

Normal behavior, sounds like they are still working things out.
Hopefully they will get everything worked out soon and get along ok.

More one-on-one time with you might help Petunia.

yeah I was thinking more one on one time, but she seems so panicked everytime I pick her up I feel bad, so I've been giving her treats when she leaves the cage and not picking her up until she is comfy.

EDIT: I just saw Petunia sleeping on a level with her head tucked under her belly in a little ball while the other two are cuddled in their cube :sad3: I feel like she is lonely... :(

How old is Petunia?
I bet they are still sorting out their place in the cage. From what I've observed... when a rat is sleeping alone, the choose too be alone. She might be feeling a little put off with the new fun girl. But in the end, I'm sure it's going to settle back down into a happy colony.
Just in case, keep an eye on other symptoms like scabs, loss of appetite, poops...

thanks, I don't know how old she is since I got her from a pet store, I think maybe 6 months? Its hard to tell too because the coccidia stunted her growth. She is sitting on the cube WITH dally right now but it quite puffed up...

I figured that 2 weeks was enough for things to settle down but I guess a new member of the family IS a big deal. I will keep an eye on her, thanks

If she is puffed up, the intros may have gone faster then she was comfortable with.
You can keep it as is since no one is being hurt
or go back a step and give them more time to work things out in a non neutral area before they live together.

I'd leave them as they are... if she's about 6 months old, that's the age where they transition into adulthood and the time where they decide who's boss.

My girls have tended to go through a spooky stage at about 6 months, where things can be extra terrifying or upsetting to them. Lucille was a particularly bad example of this and now she is a real little love.

If it continues to worry you you might want to get her in for a vet check up. An abrupt change in behavior can indicate pain, but since she's gone through a big cage change recently that is most likely the cause :)

yeah these are all good points, I also just moved from my apartment in Fredericton back to my mom's house in Hampton for the summer. That alone would probably cause some level of odd behavior, I never thought about all these changes at once. Poor little girl.

Back