Caring for Hind-End-Degeneration ratty

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenshae

It's really alarming to see how old our babies get almost overnight.

Ripper's hind end has been progressively going out and is pretty much paralyzed now; he can move his back feet, but mostly drags them and undulates himself more like he's swimming than walking. He's also lost some muscle mass back there and is a little incontinent, although not too bad -- I haven't had to start cleaning his man-bits and no urine stains or wet belly or anything yet.

Anyway, I'm taking him into the vet's tomorrow for some Baytril for a URI, should I ask for something for the HED as well? I read about using prednisone or metacam for HED, does it really help much?

And as for his cage. Right now he hangs out on the bottom level of the ferret cage and is quite content to be there; I've got a nice low hammock and three nest boxes and a lot of newspaper for him to shred (the boy loves his newspaper!) and he seems quite content to curl up like a slug in his nest box and snooze most of the day. Obviously the food and water is on the bottom floor. Is it OK to leave the bedding as Yesterday's News or should I swap out for fabric? they haven't gotten the hang of litterbox training.

Is there anything special I should do to make it easier on him?

I'd stick with yesterdays news over fabric cause if you use fabric you'll have to keep his claws well trimmed cause they can get caught in fabric when they're long or ragged. But i think some people like fabric for kids with that problem.
I know prednisone can help inabilities due to PT but I don't know if it benefits HED itself at all. Not a lot of help am I? Ok, I hope your boy focuses on his happy inside and his spoiling from outside and doesn't mind his physical limitation so much. Some kids act like they don't even know anything's wrong, they just find a new way of walking. I hope that for your boy. I usually just watch and help with what they need help with.

Back