Can't get the antibiotics in

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Karma

We went to Campus Estates this morning. We got Wembley some antibiotics; Doxy, 0.08ml twice/day, for a respiratory infection (2 weeks worth).

He also has a 'scratch' on his eye that looks like a big blood mark and his eye seems glassy. She gave me some drops for it as well as some Metacam for any pain.

I gave him the metacam first - it was flavored with honey, he ate it right up. Then i tried the antibiotics, they are strawberry flavored, he would not take them. I thought that was weird because when i gave him the berry flavored Motrin he loved it! So i mixed the Doxy with yogurt and he still refused. He became very squirmy and wheezy during all this. So then i tried another syringe with the really long thin attachment to try to just shoot them in but he was flipping out so much i was worried.

I don't want to stress him further than he already is. Any suggestions?

Doxy is notorious for tasting awful.

btw no dairy for 2 hours before or after doxycycline...the calcium binds to the doxy and makes it less effective.

You can try baby food, maple syrup, Strawberry Quik syrup, etc.

Syringing in the mouth is easiest for me. Just use a 1 cc medicating syringe and pop it into the mouth on an angle to miss those front incisors.

I have a pic of the angle with dilbert's mouth if that would help?

I give the Baytril in baby cereal. They all take it like that. Do you wait a while between meds? My vet suggested to wait about an hour between each med.

My two boys won't take their meds with anything. I've tried everything I can think of, so I've just been fighting with them to get the syringe in their mouth like lilspaz said. Part of it is a waiting game until they calm down a bit, but they both squirm and stress themselves out :( They hate the doxy, both of them rub their faces on the ground after they eat it.

Lately I have been mixing a drop of strawberry Quick, olive oil and some baby cereal into their baytril and doxy dosages. So far they really like it and are gobbling it down.

Sometimes I could hide the doxy in just food... crackers with honey worked sometimes... Other times the ONLY way I could get it in was force feeding... and even then I usually mixed it with a bit of Ensure... One of my girls would hold the meds in her mouth, and when she did the face drag she managed to get most of it to seep out. Damned smarty.

One food trick that *usually* worked but I tried to use sparingly was Ensure and baby cereal mixed together... just enough ensure to get the cereal goopy.

Sometimes sweet potato baby food worked. Sometimes.

At first i was just squirting it in and Wembley was putting up a fuss. I don't want him stressed out so i went back to the drawing board. The winner: strawberry jam. I know there is a tonne of sugar in jam but it is working...

Back