Can't decide which travel/hospital/carrier cage to get...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alosha

I am going to be getting two adult male ratties in 2-3 weeks (my first rats ever, although I've had mice and hamsters in the past) and I am trying to decide between several travel/carriers. I already have their "home" cage (a single level Critter Nation), but I want a carrier to bring them home in, and to carry them to the vet if they need it, or to put them in there while cleaning the "home" cage, or just a generic temporary cage for multiple uses.

I really want to get a quality carrier so that I won't have to replace it because it's crappy or been chewed through. I've heard stories about rats chewing through plastic dog/cat carriers (during overnight stays), and I'd want the flexibility of being able to transport babies (if I volunteer as a driver for Little Mischief Rescue, for example, which I'm considering) so the bar spacing has to be more rat-appropriate. I'd also love it if it was light weight and collapsible (my apartment is small and storage space is limited), but I realize I may not be able to get everything I want in a single carrier.

I guess when push comes to shove the most important thing is temporary transportation within town for medical care, etc., but IF they ever need a hospital cage or a long-term guest cage (if I take them to a rat-sitter when I go on vacation for example) it would be nice not to have to buy or borrow a third cage.

These are what I've been considering:

From Quality Cage (http://www.qualitycage.com):

1) CC-0 Carrier - Powder Coated White (http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_p ... ts_id=1567)
This carrier measures 6"w x 12"d x 6"h, with both full-opening, drop-open door at the back, and slide-up front door. Made of sturdy, 16 gauge, ½" x 1" wire, galvanized steel, and features a removable metal tray. Powder coated white.

CC-0PC-WHI.jpg

This one is small and convenient, but I wonder if it's maybe a bit *too* small for two rats? If it's just used as a carrier for 30-60 mins at a time maybe it's not too bad.

2) 10" x 14" x 10" Pet Carrier (http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_p ... cts_id=845)
Larger version of our CC-0 Carrier. Measures 10"w x 14"d x 10"h, with both full-opening, drop-open door at the back, and slide-up front door. Made of sturdy, 16 gauge, ½" x 1" wire, galvanized steel, and features a removable metal tray. Powder coated white.

PC-1PC-WHI.jpg

This one seems like a pretty happy medium between conveniently small and comfortably big enough (if it's even big enough to make a difference?). I wonder if the rats can figure out how to slide up the white metal plate to reveal the round hole (see product page). I'm sure I could wire it down somehow...

3) RT-1810 Collapsible Rat Carrier - Powder Coated White (http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_p ... ts_id=2330)
The RT-1810PC-WHI Collapsible Rat Carrier is 18" wide x 10" deep x 10" high. It is made of ½" x 1" 16 gauge wire, powder coated white, and folds down to store in it's own 3" high tray. Suitable for rats, gerbils, large hamsters, and baby chinchillas. Not recommended for adult chinchillas, degus, cavies, or rabbits. If not in stock, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for Powder Coating.

RT-1810.jpg

I like the fact that this is collapsible but I sorta wonder if a collapsible one is less secure (?), plus maybe it's too big? Might be pretty heavy with a big metal pan like that? What if I want to escape a fire, will I have time to "un-collapse" it, put the rats inside, and haul that heavy thing with me? Maybe it's not *that* heavy I don't know, but I've seen quality cages and Martin's cages next to each other and quality's bars are a bit heavier, plus with the metal pan.

Or Martin's (http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/travel/):

[EDIT: I would have the Martin's carriers modified to have 1" x 1/2" bar spacing]

I think Martin's would be more lightweight, but the size seems a bit bigger (maybe too big? I can't decide whether I want to compromise convenient small carrier size with one that could be used as a hospital cage.) and I don't like the appearance as much.

4) The Carrier

* 18" x 11" x 11"
* Flip-top lid
* Drop-in 2½" plastic pan
* Designed for safe and comfortable travel
* PVC-coated wire only
* Better than a traditional pet carrier; allows for better air circulation and view

carrier.jpg

5) Small Collapsible Carrier (CC-2414)

* 24" x 14" x 14"
* Flip-top opening
* Drop-in plastic pan
* Collapses flat for convenient storage

cc-2414.jpg

This size seems excessive, and not convenient at all for vet trips, but it's Martin's smallest collapsible.

What do all of you think? Do any of you have any of these travelers? What do you think of them? How important is it to have a larger "hospital cage" as opposed to just a small short-distance travel one?

I have considered it briefly, maybe I should consider it some more. (You're talking about ones made out of like rubbermaid bins, right?)

The reason I passed them up almost immediately is that they're plastic so I'm still afraid they'll escape if they had to be there for a few days (some of the ones above would be too small to use for several days anyway, I already know). Also, there'd be some work involved in rigging one and I'm in the middle of packing for a move, and I have more money than time right now. Also it would take up a lot of room when I'm not using it, and look kinda ugly.

It's a good suggestion though maybe I'll see if that would be the best solution for me (even if only for now).

personally, i'd avoid a collapsible carrier if you actually plan on assembling/disassembling it regularly, since if you need it in a hurry it's inconvenient. with the collapsible cage you posted, it doesn't seem like there would be much risk of accidentally collapsing it, like the superpet 'my first home' series cages - all you have to do is knock one of the sides hard enough, and there goes your cage and your rattie with it. that's easily fixed with a pair of pliers to close off the parts that snap together, though once you do that with those cages your chances of ever getting it to come apart and fold flat again are very slim :lol: besides, you never know when you're going to need a spare cage, it's not just emergencies like fires that you need to worry about. you may need to remove a sick or injured rat from a group in a hurry (knock on wood).

storage bins/totes also aren't ideal, since proper ventilation is an issue and it's nearly impossible to have any kind of reassuring set up inside of one (nowhere to hang a water bottle, or a clip-on cage crock for food) however in an absolute emergency you could toss a rat in one. for planned trips though, you want to have food and water available, and maybe a hammock or house/nest box so your rats have somewhere safe to hide while in a strange place.

i'd say for your needs, the cage should be tall and wide enough for your rats to completely stretch out vertically (they should be able to stand up straight without their whiskers touching the top) and about twice that measurement long. so the first two cages .. just aren't going to cut it. the measurements given for the collapsible cage are more or less appropriate for transporting two rats. also i wouldn't worry about it being too heavy with the metal tray, since metal is by and far preferred to plastic anything in my books. my nightmare would be my rats chewing through a cheap plastic tray and getting loose .. in my car :shock:

whatever choice you make, just make sure it's big enough to provide them with food/water/shelter, and has a door big enough for you to reach in and lift them out .. it can be really annoying when they won't come out on their own at the vet's and the door just isn't big enough for hands and rats at the same time :wallbang:

lansauce said:
personally, i'd avoid a collapsible carrier if you actually plan on assembling/disassembling it regularly, since if you need it in a hurry it's inconvenient. with the collapsible cage you posted, it doesn't seem like there would be much risk of accidentally collapsing it, like the superpet 'my first home' series cages - all you have to do is knock one of the sides hard enough, and there goes your cage and your rattie with it. that's easily fixed with a pair of pliers to close off the parts that snap together, though once you do that with those cages your chances of ever getting it to come apart and fold flat again are very slim :lol: besides, you never know when you're going to need a spare cage, it's not just emergencies like fires that you need to worry about. you may need to remove a sick or injured rat from a group in a hurry (knock on wood).

storage bins/totes also aren't ideal, since proper ventilation is an issue and it's nearly impossible to have any kind of reassuring set up inside of one (nowhere to hang a water bottle, or a clip-on cage crock for food) however in an absolute emergency you could toss a rat in one. for planned trips though, you want to have food and water available, and maybe a hammock or house/nest box so your rats have somewhere safe to hide while in a strange place.

i'd say for your needs, the cage should be tall and wide enough for your rats to completely stretch out vertically (they should be able to stand up straight without their whiskers touching the top) and about twice that measurement long. so the first two cages .. just aren't going to cut it. the measurements given for the collapsible cage are more or less appropriate for transporting two rats. also i wouldn't worry about it being too heavy with the metal tray, since metal is by and far preferred to plastic anything in my books. my nightmare would be my rats chewing through a cheap plastic tray and getting loose .. in my car :shock:

whatever choice you make, just make sure it's big enough to provide them with food/water/shelter, and has a door big enough for you to reach in and lift them out .. it can be really annoying when they won't come out on their own at the vet's and the door just isn't big enough for hands and rats at the same time :wallbang:

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Which collapsible cage are you referring to? #3 or #5?

I just have a dog carrier, works great, no one chews it, and my guys are chewers. I only use it for travelling to the vet, etc. For overnight stays I would get a small cage.

I think I'm going to go with #3 or #4, with a preference for #3, however, they ship using UPS which is the kiss of death when it comes to mailing things to Canada from the US (highest brokerage fees and inconvenience/horrible company). I emailed them and asked if they would be willing to send it via USPS regular mail. If they will, I'll order #3. Otherwise, I'll order #4.

I think #5 is just too big for what I want and they told me that the sides fold down as soon as you lift the top, so that sounds scary I don't want to accidentally squish the rat. I could permanently assemble it but then it defeats the purpose of buying a collapsible one and also since it's bigger it'll take up more space permanently.

Quality Cage got back to me and said they could ship via USPS (thank god!). It's about $10 more expensive up front but it's going to save me a LOT of headache once the package arrives.

So I ordered #3.

Just another shout for bin cages. I love them. I have kept rats in them for short amounts of time and not had one single issue with chewing. I just out the top and wire mesh it in. I drill a hole in the side and use velcro to attach the water bottle to the outside with the spout sticking inside the cage. I use a small crock bowl in the tote for food. I typically will use a softer bedding like aspen or carefresh since there ins't a shelf for them to get up off of the floor. And I use paperclips and shower curtain rings to hang a hammie from the wire mesh on the lid f the tote. I can even get a wheel in my bigger bins or a small wheel in a regular bin if I am holding babies for a few days.

For shorter trips where they aren't staying overnight I live for and love my cat carrier.

Back