cancer

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windmill-831

i know cancer is common in female rats but my dearest lil kazzie has got a lump on her side that has grown rapidly.
she's just over a year old now and im so scared of loosing her. i lost my first rat missy about 3months ago to a chest infection and the thought of loosing another so soon is horrible.
can rats be operated on? and is there anything else it could be?
x

It's not necessarily caner, it could be just a benign mammary tumor, which is VERY common in unspayed females.

You could get it removed, talk to your vet about getting a quote.

Vets knowledgeable in rat care, exotic vets, and good vets willing to research all provide rats with the same care other pets receive.
Examinations and medication when ill, surgery, hydration, spays and neuters, dental care, humane euthanasia, etc.

my problem is i live in cornwall uk where rats arent very common! so my vet knows very lil! but thanks guys i feel less like crying to sleep now

I've had lots of tumors (it's not always cancer)) removed from my rats. But only your vet can assess the situation. Good luck with your sweetie.

It's very important when you have rats to find a rat-knowledgeable vet. Emergencies could happen at any time, and you need to be able to go to a vet who will know what to do.

yea ive been trying for a long tim eto find a good vey. problem with cornwall is its a farming county so rats are seen as vermin by many and not as sweet beautiflu loving pets

Having a vet that is willing to learn can be just as good as having one that is already knowledgable :D

Are you close to a train station? It's been years since I visited Cornwall (a stunningly beautiful place!! I loved it), but I recall that the transport to other cities was great if you lived near to a train route. If you didn't it was another story!

Anyway, if you were able to take public transportation, that would help if there was a suitable vet for the surgery in a different city or even county. For more routine problems you will need to find a vet close by who is willing to learn about rats.

Good luck!

My Molly just had some tumors removed Thursday, which were cancerous. I know what you mean about crying to sleep, I was crying when my friend called when she heard that Molly had cancer. She was so sweet, talking to me how she knows my rats are my babies and reassuring me that Molly will be fine. My other friend called also, who is SO not into rats but she knows I feel about my rats like she feels about her cat. She was also very comforting to me, even though her cat has been missing for 2 1/2 weeks now, so we were able to cry together.

Molly came through her surgery just fine. She is eating, sleeping, pooping, taking her meds and all like the little champ I know she is. Surgery can be spendy, but finding out she had the cancer cost more than the surgery did. All told, she cost us $600 USD.

Neal said her surgery was the same price as his last year! I reminded him that his surgery was $2000. He did some quick head figures and said that Molly is not 1/10th his size. LOL!

Yes, learning your pets have cancer is scary, but I wouldn't change anything that I've done for Molly. Neal knows I would spend that much again if I needed to.

I hope you are able to find a good vet should you choose to have the lump removed. :hugs:

thanks for all your help guys means alot. i found a good local vet who knows about rats. he says he thinks its a benine tumour but he is refusing to operate due to kazzie long trem chest infection.
as sad as i am to know she;s gunna have to live with her lump getting bigger at least i know she aint in pain
x

Back