Can you ship meds into Canada?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redgal

I've been doing a lot of research on rats and health and I'd like to build up an 'emergency supply' of the rat meds to have on hand just in case ( obviously if they got sick I would for sure go to my vet but I like to have a well-stocked medication box for all my pets just in case). I'm guessing Baytril would be the main one?

But, are you allowed to ship vet meds (with/without a prescription) into Canada? I see a lot of people here order online from the US or Aus but how does that work with getting them through customs - is it allowed?

Also if anyone has any recommendations on the best place to buy them from I would really appreciate it!

TIA

How close of a relationship do you have with your vet?

My vet will order meds in for me. So I just go in and get what I need, when I need it. Then I don't have to pay for an exam fee.

Thanks, lj, my vet would probably want to do an exam but maybe I could take my rats in for a check up ( when I get them) and ask him to order me some to have on hand - :doh: never thought of that - thanks!

If you order online and they ship to Canada, then there's no problem those meds coming through the border.
In Canada, a vet must see a patient when dispensing meds but once you've developed a good relationship with your vet and they know you know rats as much as they do, some will help out by allowing you to have extra meds on hand but that doesn't happen too often.

We just started to do that vert same thing last night. There are a few things - like Revolution that I feel we should always have on hand. I regularly take my rats to the vet, but don't always leave with satisfactory results (ie Teal'c and his crackling and popping and the vet says he is fine) I KNOW he is heading into a full blown infection and would like to have the necessary meds to be able to treat him rather than spending the night sitting with him beggin him to breathe till we get to the vet. :roll: <-- biggest fear he is gong to do this to me

Great, that explains it nicely jorats - I am going to order some from the place rat.charmer suggested.

Would you recommend having anything else on hand other than Doxy ( I am guessing that is the same as Baytril)?

Catibrie, I am sorry that your vet doesn't seem to be too helpful. That sucks he sounds like my doctor! I think it's a good idea to have your own well-stocked little pharmacy if you can whilst he/she gets up to speed. I have one for my dogs but that is because my vet knows my dog's health problems and will order me in what I need. I am hoping he will be willing to do that for my rats but I want to get some ahead of time just to be on the safe side. I hope your rats are okay.

What is Revolution?

I'm also looking in to getting some natural remedies as I use them a lot too.

I'm collecting medicine boxes for my family... so far I have one for me and husband ( pretty bare as I spend the $$ on the rest...), one for my daughter, one for my dogs, one for my fish and I'll have one for my rats...not that I'm a health freak or anything :giggle:

Unfortunately, doxy is not Baytril... it's much milder and good for a mild infection but most URIs need Baytril.
I haven't seen Baytril available online without a prescription.
Revolution is good to kill mites/lice.

Pretty sure that Clark in Moncton gets baytril online ... no idea where tho.

Catibrie, perhaps you could try another vet. And take info with you to share so they will know that the rat needs meds.

I took a rattie to one vet in the Halifax area who would only gave me a small amount of medication my boy needed .... she seemed to think that he would only need the med for a couple of weeks ... :doh: he had a heart problem and needed to be on that heart med for the rest of his life! I didn't argue with her tho, because I got enough meds from her to last until I could get to my regular vet. I wish more vets would be willing to do the research on rats if they are going to treat them.

Thanks Eagle! I'll look into that.

SQ said:
Pretty sure that Clark in Moncton gets baytril online ... no idea where tho.

I wish more vets would be willing to do the research on rats if they are going to treat them.

Thanks SQ, er.... who is Clark? :wink2:

I wish too, that more vets would be willing to be open to learning more and educate themselves. I used to have a vet that was great. We were trying to figure out how to best treat my dog's seziures. She was honest and said she would need more time to research it and asked me to go away and research it and so would she and we got back together and shared all that we had learnt...his seizures have now been under control for years. Then she took off on mat leave.....and I haven't seen her at the practice since. The other vet there is pretty good, but she was awesome. I might see if I can call her as a 'friend' because I am sure she would be great with my boys once I get them. Sometimes too, vets don't take too kindly to their customers telling them what they know. I always have to tread carefully when I'm trying to bring someone up to speed on the things I have learnt.

Clark runs a rescue in Moncton but we had to help him out last year, it was a situation that had gone out of control. He doesn't like us anymore and not sure he'd respond to anyone from the Rat Shack. :(

You can ship meds to Canada incl. Baytril without prescription however there is always a chance that if custom looks at it that they won't let it through and you waste your money. I guess it's a chance you take.

We buy the Doxy from Global Pigeon fidget posted about as it's cheap, the rest we get from our vet.

It generally pays to have a REALLY good relationship with your vet. It won't happen overnight.. We've been going to the same vets for years and have a great relationship.

http://www.allivet.com/

Has a lot of medications that can be shipped to Canada without a prescription but again... customs might confiscate it so it's up to you if you want to spend the money and poss. loose it all or spend the money and take your rats to the vet.

Hey Simone, oh for sure I would ALWAYS take them to the vet, but for some reason I would also feel better having some on-hand you know, in case the world was ending and all vets everywhere had disappeared off the planet, LOL.

It's a good point though. I would hate to spend a large amount for it to be confiscated, so I might just get some doxy from the pigeon place and that way there is no problem with customs and I'm not wasting my money.

:thumbup:

Back