Can rats eat quinoa?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fexpress

We eat a lot of quinoa in our house and were wondering if anyone has tried their rats with it, and whether they can have it or not? If yes, raw or cooked? And do they like it? Love to hear people's thoughts.

I have just recently discovered this wonderful product. I have not tried it on the rats, but if I was to try it I would serve it cooked.

Quinoa ( /ˈkiːnwɑː/ or /kɨˈnoʊ.ə/, Spanish: quinua, from Quechua: kinwa), a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a member of the grass family. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds.

(From Wikipedia)

It's a pretty yummy carb that's gluten-free and can be used in place of rice, bulger, barley and other grains. Also contains complete amino acids for protein, unlike other grains.

I think it's probably ok, but wanted to know if anyone had tried it with their ratties.

My rats like cooked quinoa. I'm sure it's fine to give uncooked (it's a seed, not a legume), I just don't know if rats would eat it.

While quinoa is high in protein, it's much easier for the body to process than animal products so it would be fine to give once in a while.

That's great...I knew someone would have tried it. I'm not planning to give them very much, just a little now and again if we have some leftover after dinner...just for some variety. (and because they are really, REALLY spoiled!)

Joanne said:
SQ said:
http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/basic-quinoa.php
Thanks for the link! I'll have to try this and see what it tastes like.

I know I really like it!
It is good with just a bit of salt and pepper, and is "a small piece of heaven" using the recipe godmother has.
Edit: imo

guess I'll have to try sharing a bit of cooked plain quinoa with the ratties

SQ said:
Joanne said:
SQ said:
http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/basic-quinoa.php
Thanks for the link! I'll have to try this and see what it tastes like.

I know I really like it!
It is good with just a bit of salt and pepper, and is "a small piece of heaven" using the recipe godmother has.
Well now you're just teasing me! Where the heck is Godmother, and what is her recipe?!

Back