Calming a hyper-dominant rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSkyy

So I think Stump-Tail constantly feels the need to assert himself. And it may or may not become a problem in the future.

Normally, I'd go for a neuter, but he's ~2 years already.

He sidles up to the other rats and pushes on them with his hip. Nothing more or less than that. Sometimes the other rats take offense, sometimes they get scared. It only happens in closed quarters, like igloos. In open spaces they're fine.

When Stump-Tail starts to get all bully like, put your full hand over his body, completely and press gently. It mimics a body hug, like the thunder shirts for stressed dogs. It works pretty good at calming them down. Do this several times. Let us know how it works for you.

He "huffs" when I do that and tries to push up. Something that seems to help is holding him all cuddled up in a blanket away from the other rats until his fur goes flat. Have you ever had a rat that likes people more than other rats? He seems to not know his manners with rats but LOVES people.

Back