Cage question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to get a pair of male rats, and was wondering what cage was the best for both size and budget? Or are there some good DIY cage instructions? Also, a short description would be nice.

Every one is going to say "invest in the CN! its worth it!"
BUT if you can't do that, then I'd say the super pet exotics cage, but its really only big enough for 3 males. Its what I've got, and its kind of a pain to clean, but my boys like it, and its got the levels. I don't know much about the martins cages, but a lot of people really like them.
I wouldn't advise making your own. A lot of people here get all excited and make one, and then wish they'd re-directed the funds for something else.
Also you can look on Kiji or Craigslist for good deals. Thats where I got my Super Pet, and I only paid 40. Right now in my area there is a double FN, already wire meshed, for 150. I want it really bad, but I have no money. Plus then i'd end up with 80 rats lol, and my roomies would hate me.

Larger bunny cages make decent cages for 2-3 rats. You just have to add some homemade shelves and hammocks and you're good to go.

Pet stores will try to sell you the Living World Rat Resort for 2 males, it's too small! Just a heads up. Martins cages are nice if they are powder coated but for the price plus shippibg and broker fees for getting across the boarder you are better off getting a single critter nation cage. www.chinchilla.ca sells them for a good price, and you don't support petstores by buying from them! Don't make a DIY cage, you'll regret it, badly.

I would suggest a critter nation cage, a powder coated martins cage or a rabbit cage that is at least 39 inches long and you would add two home made shelves. (I have pictures of how to do this) Often you can purchase 2nd hand cages on kijiji

Make sure the cage you get has a base of at least 30 inches by 18 inches and height for levels.
Rats need at least 2 cubic feet per each rat with the smallest cage being at least 4 cubic feet in size.
Galvanized metal cages are a waste of money as they will absorb dirt and urine and become unusable within a short period of time.
There are cage calculators on the internet to help you determine the max. number of rats that can live in a cage.

Even though I referred to this cage as the "Devil Cage" it served its purpose well.

http://www.petco.com/product/15487/Supe ... -Home.aspx

I purchased mine from a woman on ebay for about $50 bucks w/ s&h it cost me about 70..
It can be a real pain to clean but the rats liked it and unlike other plastic shelving i thought these were actually sturdy

The bar spacing is a little big though

if you are unsure as to how many rats will fit in a cage I like this simple calculator

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information ... alculator/

If you plan on getting baby or young males, or ever getting girls, you have to make sure any cage you get has small bar spacing, like 1/2" or less. If not, you may have little escapees on your hands :p

Back