Cage Dilemma

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happi Wolf

I'm doing cage hunting for my two baby girls. FN is out of the question (not matter how much I would love one) it would just be to much of a hassle to get it escape proof. I need a cage that they cannot escape from pretty urgently but one they can grow up in and have plenty of space.

These are the cages that interest me;

Cage 1
^Interests me the most, of course the levels would be covered

Cage 2- The Rat Lodge (R-680)
^ Kind of 'eh' about it since since there are only two levels

Cage 3
^My least favorite due to lack of hammock/cozies space

All cages listed have a 30x18 base :thumbup:

I personally am a lover of the Rat Lodge and have 4 of them and have given away 2 :) The 4 cages are actually 2 Lodges stacked on each other to make 2 tall cages.

I added a corner shelf and a bridge to my baby cage for extra room. I had a young mom and 4 wee girls in there
R-680loaded.jpg

I love what you did with your Rat Lodge lilspaz. I was worried it wouldn't be big enough for a good amount of toys and cozies but it looks to be fine.

Make sure that the cage you get is powder coated.
Otherwise you are just throwing your money away.

I presently have two large martins cages and they are wonderful!
I cover the wire levels with linolum cut to fit.

Your first cage, it looks like the levels would need to be covered. They appear to be bars, not a mesh, which is not safe for any of the animals they're selling to. Also, the grid over the base would need to be removed or covered. It will just get disgusting, and again is a sprain hazard like the shelves. Some people have no issue with slide out pans, but I have this intense fear my girls will figure it out. You would need to make sure all of the smaller feeder doors latched securely or that you could lock them somehow.

I also have the Rat Lodge, which is more than enough space for my two girls. I've had 3-4 girls in the stacked version, and currently have just the single cage set up for my 2 younger girls. This cage is my absolute favorite of any of the Martin's cages. It's a perfect size, isn't too big/heavy for me to haul around myself, and the door is big enough to do just about anything through.
As a single
IM001377.jpg

2 stacked
IM001375.jpg

There are a few members who have done really great things with the SP Exotics cage, and they seem to love it. If the Lodge was outside of your price range, it would make a decent second choice. I'd pick the Lodge, though. :giggle:

I'm looking into getting the SP exotics cage, actually, but that first cage you posted made me drool. Thats more what I'm looking for, but a $30 cage with $65 shipping? And then I'd have to wait 6-8 weeks to get it, if not longer because it'd be a "heavy" item...

Maybe when I finally move, but for now, SP is going to suit me and my two little girls fine.

(If you do end up going with that SuperPet one though, and you're going to order online, you can get it cheaper at Petmountain.com and if you were going to go into petsmart and pick it up, if you print out the page that shows the price from petmountain, they'll discount it for you.)

The Martins 680 is going to be a total of $122.81. :stickpoke: I think it would (hopefully) last much longer than the SP exotics. It would stink if the girls started chewing all the plastic in the SP cage.

Cage Dilemma solved. I'm going to order the Martins 680. :D

I purchased my 680's about 2yrs ago, and they're in great shape. There have been thousands of scrubbings, toys banged around, rats chewing on the bars.. It's definitely a cage made to last.

Martin's cages are real investments, which is why I went and purchased a C-ring remover since I am usually breaking down and rebuilding mine often. :)

My original cages were galvanized from 4 years ago, and even though they aren't the prettiest, they are still going strong.

My powdercoated's are about 2-2.5 years old. :)

mamarat has older martin's cages too and all in top condition. Unfortunately, there are a few chewed pans. But we've had Super Pet pans chewed as well.

lilspaz68 said:
I personally am a lover of the Rat Lodge and have 4 of them and have given away 2 :)

hey lilspaz68... If you feel like giving away another any time soon... theres a poor college student in california with two cuties dying for a bigger cage who would gladly take one off your hands... :wink2: I'll even pay extra for shipping!!

I would've sent you my R-695 but I loaned it out to an adopter, her bf kicked her out and threw my cage out in the garbage to spite her. :sad3: THEN she returned the ratboys...who are happily living with mamarat now at least :thumbup:

sounds like she really needed it!

hey if anyone has an extra cage they need to get rid of... *wink wink nudge nudge* besides, you cant succumb to GGMR if theres nowhere to put them!

Back