Cage Calculator

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

I know I know I am asking this AGAIN. There is a cage calculator out there. But there is also one where you can include levels. Does anyone know this one. Also maybe could we get it stickied.

Stephanie said:
http://www.ratzrus.co.uk/ratguides/rat_cage_calculator.php

this one?

I have a problem with this one, I have a made cage coming up, with good shelving and stuff.
155cm high, 110cm wide, 65cm deep, that is 1.1m³ of living space
I have multiple fixed shelves in it: 2* (65cm*35cm) and 1* (110cm*35cm)
And ofc there wil be loads of hammocks and movable shelves and stuff, but that will change every week... so it keeps teling me it can only hold 7 rats :shock:

ATM I have a ferplast mito (125cm high * 100cm wide * 55cm deep, that is 0.68m³ of living space and easily houses 8 rats atm.

To compare:
a furet tower has 0.96m³ of living space
a 2 story FN has 0.71m³ of living space

One problem I am having with the same cage calculator, donshini, is that it doesn't allow you to input the height of the cage. I mean, heck, my cage could go from the floor to the ceiling and be PACKED with hammocks, cubes, baskets hanging from the walls, so on and so forth, and it would think that it was too small for more than 7 rats.

Keep in mind though, more rats mean more floor space. Hammocks and baskets does not make floor space. Could be one of the reasons why it won't input.

Rats generally like to live out than up. While they love their climbing and acrobats, they still need that room to run flat out. That's why so many of the cages sold in stores aren't appropriate for rats, way too narrow, no matter how tall it is.

jorats said:
Keep in mind though, more rats mean more floor space. Hammocks and baskets does not make floor space. Could be one of the reasons why it won't input.

I do know what you mean, so at first I had a cage packed with shelves, but my girls were kinda sad that they could not climb from bottom to top.
That's why I didn't get a FN after all.

Since there is nothing on the groundor on the shelves of my cage (except a waffle block) they can run and play as much as they want, all the cool stuff is suspended.

So does the calculator assume a certain amount of space is between each shelf or floor? I'm just a bit confused... I think that the best cage calculator is probably to post a picture of your cage and ask everyone "how many?"

Yeah, I know what u mean, but with certain cages you have to "see" them for real to know how much ratties fit :p

Anywayz, that calculator makes me mad, the cage I ordered costs 900€, (1311 USD), and the thought of it only holding 8 rats instead of the 12 that I eventually want, makes me crrrrazzzy :shock:

I know it's a tiny weeny bit exensive for a cage. And no there are no diamonds or golden bars :lol:
It's just all I ever wanted for a cage, custom made, but I think it will save me money in the end, instead of buying new cages 3 times a year...

I'd assume it has a standard rate for how far apart any shelves and floors are. Mostly they're just counting actual floor space, though.

If you want a calculator that only does the dimensions, not the shelves and floors, you can go Here. Some cages I agree with the number of rats, other cages I would subtract one or two rats. You really do have to see a cage to figure how many you would be comfortable putting in there.

Back