Buying a CN on the West Coast

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinderwolf

Okay, here is my dilemma. I want to get my girls a double CN ( haha huge for 2, but the more room the better : D ) BUT any online stores are either in the usa or in ontario/east coast. I contacted Flower Town and the cost of shipping to Vancouver would be almost the same as the cage it's self. I'm not about to pay 400 + dollars on a 200+ dollar cage. I have seen the double at my local big chain pet store, but obviously I would rather not go that route.. I have already given enough of my money to that business. It was also 230 dollars for a single.. so its pretty over priced. I have heard that Tisol sells them, but I have never seen one there.

So, all you West Coast rat lovers, does anyone know the best place to get a double CN in Vancouver/Lower Mainland? I am looking to pay as little as possible, because lets face it, I'm not made of money. I am not planning on buying on right away, but I want to know where I can get one when I do decide to get one.

PetSmart has them I believe, but I never go in there so I don't know if they regularly carry them in the actual store.
I'm not sure where else. You could see if a local pet supply store would special order one for you for a reasonable price?

I think it's Tisol that's supposed to be a good pet supply store for small animals in BC. You should contact them if you have one in your area to see if they sell it and for how much.

KTyne said:
PetSmart has them I believe, but I never go in there so I don't know if they regularly carry them in the actual store.
I'm not sure where else. You could see if a local pet supply store would special order one for you for a reasonable price?

Yeah the petsmart website has them but I haven't been to a petsmart in a while so I'm not sure. I was thinking of asking my local Tisol if they every have any in stock. Or if they could order it. Fingers crossed that they do. They have really cheap prices AND they don't sell animals so I thoroughly enjoy handing all my money over to them :giggle: I think i may go today if I can convince my friend to go shopping, so If I go i will ask them about it. I am also thinking of asking them to start selling extrusion ;) cause zellers is expensive :lol:

I ordered mine from allpetfurniture.com. I got it cheaper than any of the pet stores around me were selling it for.

Nekopan said:
I ordered mine from allpetfurniture.com. I got it cheaper than any of the pet stores around me were selling it for.

Really, how was the shipping? cause i know shipping from the usa is killer

I've never heard of Tisol, but that sounds good! I wish the pet supply stores around here would sell Extrusion or some other good quality lab block too! I didn't know Zellers sold it, either. :|
Good luck on your cage hunt! ^_^

Tisol is amazing. I think its based in the lower mainland though, probably why you haven't heard of it. The prices are phenomenal, there is tons of selection (only thing they are really missing is a good quality rat block ) and the people there are all super friendly and happy to help. And dogs are allowed so I get to play with puppies when I shop there : D Which for a dog-less dog lover like myself, is a dream come true : )

I really hope they can get a CN for me :D

Cinderwolf said:
Nekopan said:
I am just over on the Island in Nanaimo. I got my double FN from them. Everything went great and shipping was FREE. It is still free, but the CN is out of stock at the moment. They do have a link to notify you when they have more though. They take care of all of the border hassle, so you pay the customs fees directly to them when you check out. I think mine were $109 when I got my cage. Totally worth it I think though. Even though I don't have ratties at the moment, it is safe out in the garage until I can again.

edit:I know someone who works at Tisol I think. I can ask if you want.

Awsome! I used to live in Surrey, but only until I was 9, and I didn't go to pet stores ever back then, so that'd be why I haven't heard of it. :p
Most of the pet supply stores out here are super expensive, which sucks. :'(

Zenia said:
Cinderwolf said:
Nekopan said:
I am just over on the Island in Nanaimo. I got my double FN from them. Everything went great and shipping was FREE. It is still free, but the CN is out of stock at the moment. They do have a link to notify you when they have more though. They take care of all of the border hassle, so you pay the customs fees directly to them when you check out. I think mine were $109 when I got my cage. Totally worth it I think though. Even though I don't have ratties at the moment, it is safe out in the garage until I can again.

edit:I know someone who works at Tisol I think. I can ask if you want.

Oh that does sound fantastic. No worries about the out of stock, not planning on getting it right away anyways, so I might as well just wait til they are in stock, if I decide to go with them.

No worries, I'm heading over to Tisol tomorrow, I can just ask then, since it may be different store to store.

So I set out on my CN hunt tonight, just to scout out some local pet shops . I'm going to start by saying that ti was a disappointing night.

I started at Tisol, but the man said they don't sell them, he referred me to PJ's Pet's down the street but I told him I knew they sold it, I just wanted to go the " no pet sale" route if I could . He then suggested online ordering but I shared that it would cost me almost as much as 2 cages to ship it. So anyways, it was a no go for Tisol :wallbang:

Next stop was P.J's Pet's . Its a big store, which I already knew sold the CN . Upon entering I told my friend that before checking the price of the cage, I wanted to take a look at the animals. First thing I see is a worker and a couple talking over an open rat tank. Inside was a tiny ( couldn't have been more then 2 months) little mink girl and an older, maybe 4 month PEW girl. I whispered to my friend that I wanted to hold one. but I shouldn't, but she convinced me. So I walked over, listened to their conversation for a little bit then asked if I could hold one. The lady sort of gave me a funny look, since I had come out of no where. So I quickly explained that I had 2 at home. She asked me which I wanted to hold but I said I didn't care. So she gave me the little mink girl. She was soft as could be and tiny. I got my rats at 4 months and I have never held a rat so small. She was so scared that she was peeing all over me. I felt so bad for both of the little girls. Anyways the whole time, the couple and the worker were talking. The women was asking the worker if they could show her the cage that they wanted to get so that they could bring one of them home today. Right then a red flag went up in my mind and my heart started to race. After I put the little mink back down ( much to my dismay as I could have so easily slipped her into my pocket and saved her from the fate she was inevitably going to face) I turned to the couple and said " you guys really should get 2, they need a buddy." I was hoping they would take my advice ( fat chance.. no one really likes to listen to teenagers about this stuff, specially when there is an adult worker there telling them something different. ) Right away the women shot me a bit of a dirty looked and ignored my comment. So I walked away, I couldn't risk blowing up in their faces. I was pretty unhappy at that point so I went to look at the other little animals. In the mean time the couple went off to show the worker they cage they wanted to get. Apparently the worker deemed it good because they soon walked over to the small pet department carrying one of those 3 story HAMSTER cages. At this point was was feeling horrible. One of the little girls I just saw was going to end up in that tiny cage all alone, and the other was going to be stuck in the tank alone. I walked around, consciously aware of what the couple and worker were up to. Seed mix, pine, the works. The whole time I was ranting to my friend about it. ( she knows where I'm coming from and often goes on the same rants about how they treat their hedgehogs.) So I decided I had enough and I went to look for the CN. Found it right where I thought it should be. 250 for a single and 350 for a double. Then add on 12 percent HST ( God I hate HST!) Probably will be cheaper to ship it.

Needless to say I left that store feeling physically ill to my stomach. Even now I feel horrible thinking about those poor little babies :sad3:

So I went shopping with my friend for a few hours, went out striped off all my cloths threw them in the wash and had a shower, before going anywhere near my babies.

All in all, it was a crappy way to end a really good day.

This is why I shouldn't go to pet stores.

Cinderwolf said:

That's why I don't. When I did, though, and they gave me the dirty look, I used to say "Listen here, lady....."

I'm sorry your visit ended on such a crappy note. I really hope you can find a way to get your cage without supporting them :cry:

Moon said:
Cinderwolf said:

That's why I don't. When I did, though, and they gave me the dirty look, I used to say "Listen here, lady....."

I'm sorry your visit ended on such a crappy note. I really hope you can find a way to get your cage without supporting them :cry:

Me too. : ( That's the place I got my old cage from, before I knew any better. After that I really doubt I will get it from them.

My only hope now is that the couple who takes home on of the girls does some research on rats after the fact and then gets the right equipment and a buddy. I can only hope. :cry:

zenia wulfe said:
Cinderwolf said:
Yeah, that is pretty much why I only go to Bosleys and Eco Munchies... both places sell food/supplies ONLY.

Yup, I usually stick to Tisol, it's supply only. Do you know if Bosley's sells CN's ? I have one near by I was thinking of checking out.

I usually stay away from pet sale stores, mostly because I have no self control and I hate risking my rats. But I wanted to see the price of their CN and their site doesn't list products. Only other time I go in a pet store is the little one in the mall ( its horrid, dogs in tiny cages, rats in 10 gallon tanks, 50 mice in one tank :sick2: ) I only go in there when I get dragged by my friends ( they like to look / play with the puppies) :gaah:

Is Tisol any good? We don't have one in Nanaimo.

As for Bosleys selling CNs... I know that my store doesn't. It is pretty small though, but you can always phone your local one and ask!

zenia wulfe said:
Is Tisol any good? We don't have one in Nanaimo.

As for Bosleys selling CNs... I know that my store doesn't. It is pretty small though, but you can always phone your local one and ask!

Tisol is amazing, everything is super cheap and the people are all really nice. I love it.

I'll have to check it out then, hopefully they will ;)

Back