Bulk Hammock Solution

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randomrat

I go through hammocks liek crazy because certain rats enjoy chewing them up on a regular basis. :doh: So while helping my Dad clean out his work truck (he's a mechanic for a construction company) when I found a pile of rags that he uses for wiping his hands and tools from grease and other engine gunk. He gets them in bulk packages and they are usually pretty big, perfect for rattie hammocks. They aren't pretty like some of people sewn hammocks here but they are good for hammock chewing montsers. You can get a 20lb bag for about $20.
For example:
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPor ... item_code=
WPR201-10&categorySearch=true

Just thought I would share, I just run them through the wash first, just in case and my girls don't seem to notice the difference between them and the ones I spend time making for them. Most industrial supply stores carry at least 10lb packages. :)

...I found a pile of rags that he uses for wiping his hands and tools from grease and other engine gunk

I used to work in a muffler shop and the cloth we used were recycled(the compagny pick them up,wash them and drop them off).
I remember seeing some with eureathane/stains still stuck on them...

Yeah it could be different,i hope :cheeky:

the "frencheys" where i live sells these... they have different kinds like white t-shirt... cotton (very pretty for patchwork hammocks) and flannel I bought a bag of the flannel and am using it to make some hammocks. they are just cut up clothes that they could not sell I washed then and they are fine to use.

The pile of rags gave me the idea, I would never bring something like that to my rats cage. I am not stupid. When you buy them new they are clean, cut up pieces of clothes. I run them through the wash first because they do have the rags washed in some scented stuff sometimes. I just wanted to share my find, o.0

The link goes to an online store where you can buy the rags, new, unused, and in a package.
Our Frenchys here sells that kind of rag bag too.

I've never heard of Frenchys before, and after a quick google search I see that it is an Atlantic coast used clothing store. None of the used clothing stores here often sell rags like this and if they do it isn't for such a good price at least not in my finds.

I buy baby boy fleece blankets from garage sales and from friends after their kids are done with them! I pay 25 cents to a dollar and they range from infant size to toddler bed size! I only have one chewer(Marley) out of 5 boys so I guess I'm lucky. :giggle:

Nice find!

My guys just get old clothes cut to size. I go through my pants alarmingly fast, and I can get about 5 large hammocks out of a pair of jeans, so they're never hurting for fabric. Sure, they're not pretty, but it works ;)

Patrick gets all the gorgeous fleece lined, lovely patterened, hand-made hammocks (lol)

and Sid gets material scraps, old clothes, anything he can chew and i won't cry about (my beautiful material :cry3: ) he even gets J-cloths, the cheap material household cloth thingys. A brand new hammock wont last 24hours in his cage

Poor Sid ... but I know what you are talking about I have been busy making stuff before I get any rats and I know I am gonna cry when my quilt hammock is chewed... I spend all day (wile at work...shhhhh don't tell my boss) making it. My co-workers think I am crazy.

Randomrat said:
I've never heard of Frenchys before, and after a quick google search I see that it is an Atlantic coast used clothing store. None of the used clothing stores here often sell rags like this and if they do it isn't for such a good price at least not in my finds.

You are, in fact, missing out. Haha.

Frenchy's has these lovely random days where you can go in, fill a garbage bag with practically anything (bedding, dresses, shoes, etc. not included) and get the whole bag for $2. I haven't been to one since getting a rat, but a $2 bag of towels, fleece trimmings, kids toys and fabric scraps? Yes please!
If you take a trip to the East Coast, look one up -- and bring an oversized garbage bag, so you can get an even better deal ;)

I've never seen a Frenchy's but the Value Villages (sometimes "Savers") around where I live do towels and cloths in bags that are mostly rag-worthy and they're usually 2.99 ish. I have taken to do that since my rats chew holes in things like crazy. I don't think they're 10 lb bags though, haha. That's a lot of rags. :p

Ive bought these for my past ratties from WalMart, a 5lbs bag for about $5. They were new, never used and the colors were pretty neat! Now I buy my fab from the Dollarama, I just wish they would stop jacking up the price!! I also use all my old clothing, sweaters, shirts and jeans for hammocks now too. After 6mths, Ive found a chewer!!

I <3 Frenchies! And here we have Louis which has BOGO Mondays lol Vallue Village here is expensive!!

PitLuvs said:
Now I buy my fab from the Dollarama, I just wish they would stop jacking up the price!!

I <3 Frenchies! And here we have Louis which has BOGO Mondays lol Vallue Village here is expensive!!

How can they jack the prices at a Dollar Store? haha. I love my local one, 90% of stuff is a dollar, after tax. That's the way all stores should be -- nice, whole numbers.

Value Village is terribly expensive, but still, if its a good find then its a good find.
What's Louis, though?

Back