... browned Doxy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHermit

Hey, been a while since I've checked in. I just got back from work after a few nights with my parents and I was watching Lilly sleep for a while because she just looked so comfy and angelic, then she woke up and immediately her nose sounded like it was popping. Not clicking, but a blunt, low noise that I can't really describe as popping, I guess. More of a "thud".
I went to get some dark chocolate and check out the doxy I have left over from her vet visit in November, but when I dropped a little bit onto a spoon it looked brownish. I remember it being slightly yellowy, but not at all tinged brown. It's not exactly sickly looking, but I don't quite trust it. I think I might have gotten strawberry syrup in it by accident (I was super sleepy and for some reason extracted Nesquick with the syringe, then the doxy, and felt really stupid after), and that was back in November.
The expiration date isn't until 2014 so I'm hoping the strawberry is just discoloring it... it's never, ever been left out of the fridge. I don't think I've even opened it since December.
So I guess I'm asking if it's contaminated (I have a feeling that's an awfully stupid question) or if it's safe to give to Lilly?

Oh! Before I had to run to work, I was home for a while to get changed, and I talked to the girls for a bit - Lilly was bright, alert, and not at all noisy. There was no change in her behavior or breathing before I left Thursday night.

The expiration on the Doxy... is it for the pills or after it's compounded? Typically, Doxy is only stable for 14 days if it's mixed with water. It can be compounded to last longer, but I have never heard of it lasting 3 years...

:| I have no idea, they never said to me what the expiration date was for, I assumed it was for the compounded - it is mixed so I'll assume it's expired if it's been 4 months as opposed to 14 days?

Doxycycline is very dangerous to use once its expired, so toss it out. If you don't hear anything in her lungs I would jsut watch and wait for now...could be allergies, a snotty day, something environmental.

Already done, too paranoid as usual to consider it an option after the first reply. I went back to check on her and she rocks her head a bit when she breathes, but she isn't making noise anymore or using her abdomen to breathe. Is that OK? Like could she be trying to push whatever might be clogging her nose out? She seems focused on it but not uncomfortable if that makes sense.

what flavor was the doxy?

I've had banana flavored doxy go "bad" when mailed to be by my compounders. it was actually the flavoring going bad. but either way, better to not use it. so it was a good idea to toss it out :)

what's weird is that I've never had that happen with any other flavoring.

I'm tempted to go check my doxy, because I can't remember 100%, but I definitely don't have 3 year expiration dates, maybe 1 year or so when compounded.

When compounded they usually dont last more than a month. This is why most will get pills, which can last years rather than actually using the compounded meds. It can be wasteful if you dont have a lot of rats. It is true it isnt the med but the flavoring that ruins it.

oops, correcting myself it's my Baytril that I get 5 - 12 months out of, my Doxy is 2 months compounded. I said a year last night and was wrong.

Back