Brought marbles to the vet.........

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarah

and apparantly her sneezing is because she's stressed out being around splinter?
i doubt that.
they told me to isolate her from everyone else and don't have too much contact with her for a week..?

anyone else had this problem? or do the vet i seen have no idea what she's talking about?

Sigh...old world vets. :p

no one needs to be separated if they aren't fighting. If a cagemate is sick, you don't take away their friends, because everyone has already been exposed. Its like closing the barn after the horse got out. :lol:

So how sick is Marbles, and I assume they didn't give you anything for her?

I agree, don't separate that would cause more stress.
Did the vet listen to the lungs? Instead, I would try changing bedding, removing any scents around the cage, not allow any smoking around rats if there is. Anything new in their lives lately? new pets? new sounds and change of cage? That can all cause stress and the start of a myco flare up which could start with sneezing.

No they never gave me anything for her.

They said that she sneezes when she's stressed, but she's sneezed since i got her. She comes right over to me (or anyone else for that matter) and lovessssssssssss being up. She hops around and plays with Splinter allll the time, so i don't think shes nervous being around her. I'm not going to separate them, i think they'd be lost without each other.

I need to find a better vet. :stickpoke:

They got moved to the new cage, but she's not sneezing any less than she was before.
They're on fleece now. And shes been on cotton, shredded paper towel and aspen. Nothing changed. There is really no scents around the cage (no air fresheners, perfumes or anything; i hardly wear the stuff.)

I agree maybe a new vet is best.
We did have a rat once that sneezes all his life. We tried an allergy elixir and it did help a bit but for the most part we just let him sneeze.

Sara sneezed all life. I tried meds, different combos, allergy meds, nothing seemed to work. I finally stopped all meds and my girl lived to 29 months.

Yeah......I think Marbles is just going to be a sneezer. She doesn't act sick, sluggish, or like she's in pain, EVER. She's a very energetic girl, eats and drinks normally. She loves to be out and get a rub-down from everyone.

I am just curious. Does Marbles have a narrow head? I have noticed that the rescues especially in Ontario have much narrower heads these days and that can be an issue with sinus problems.

Uhmm, her head is about the same size as Splinters, so it's not really narrow.

Hershey, however, has the most narrow head of all of them, and she sneezes a little.

Back