Bringing home a girl with a missing eye...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratlets

Supposedly the eye "popped out" or "came out" according to the worker I spoke with, but until I get her to the vet (this afternoon or tomorrow I hope), I've got a few questions...

Supposing her eyeball is really gone, should the eyelid be healing closed? This is what it looks like is happening. I imagine this is a bad thing- infection/trapped/etc... Right? Should I worry about an abscess popping up?

The little girl will be joining my group of 4 (2 neutered boys, 2 young girls... less than 4 months of age). Are one-eyed rats more likely to be aggressive due to fear?

Not sure what else to ask at the moment, but I'd appreciate any tips!

Thanks,

jd

When did the eye come out?

My one-eyed baby is friendly as can be, and my Lady who recently had her eye removed, is a bit jumpy at times, but not aggressive in the least...well any more than she was before. :lol:

I've noticed with my little Mac that she does adjust herself accordingly in newer environments to avoid her being startled etc - I also have a potentially hair brained theory that based on which eye is missing will determine if they are more fearful or not, as the optic nerve corresponds directly to that side of the body (left side, left lobe of the brain) and that I beleive that it is the left eye that takes in frightening stimuli (in horses etc) thus lil Macster with her missing rt eye is left only to see the world through the eye that she would be more inclined to use in frightening situations (not that we look with only one eye when we're scared, but for example horses will turn their heads to face a frightening stimuli with their left eye but use their rt nostril because it connects to the left lobe of the brain).

I dont know if there is ANY merit to that. But I like to think that there is evidence to support it

My Rhys is missing his right eye and he gets along just fine...it takes him a couple of extra seconds to adjust to new things but otherwize he is just like other rats!

Cityratt said:
I've noticed with my little Mac that she does adjust herself accordingly in newer environments to avoid her being startled etc - I also have a potentially hair brained theory that based on which eye is missing will determine if they are more fearful or not, as the optic nerve corresponds directly to that side of the body (left side, left lobe of the brain) and that I beleive that it is the left eye that takes in frightening stimuli (in horses etc) thus lil Macster with her missing rt eye is left only to see the world through the eye that she would be more inclined to use in frightening situations (not that we look with only one eye when we're scared, but for example horses will turn their heads to face a frightening stimuli with their left eye but use their rt nostril because it connects to the left lobe of the brain).

I dont know if there is ANY merit to that. But I like to think that there is evidence to support it

Just wanted to clarify that I didnt mean to imply that they will be fearful because they are missing their eye - but they could potentially have the predisposition to become more alerted/startled, 1. because they only have 1 eye and limited FOV but also because all their visual sensory input is going to their left lobe (which is commonly reserved for startling stimuli etc).

But lil Baby-Mac is as kind and loving and wonderful as ever :heart:

Rats do not see well and rely on their other senses to get around. I don't think that a missing eye will hamper your little lady in the least! My boy, Roquefort, is a pink eyed white and does not see well either. Nevertheless, he is the only one with the capability of leaping off of the desk onto the floor.

You would think that, with his miserable eyesight, he would be terrified at attempting a jump into the "unseen" "unknown" but that is not the case. That little man is everywhere!

I wouldn't worry about your new girl at all. If she is anything like the rats I've known.... her "disadvantage" will simply be supplemented with her other senses. Rats are brilliant that way!

Now, if we could only get the majority of humans to be as innovative....
:bunnydance: :cheeky: :bunnydance:

The left eye/stimulus thing makes total sense to me.

Prior to this Lady never startled. I knew the instant that right eye of hers stopped functioning, because she startled horribly. Even in such a way of ricocheting off of walls :( Soon after that her eye changed and I ran her to Dr Munn.

Now she still startles more than she used to, but is getting used to things.

Alright! My cute girly is home!

Her eye just came out within the last couple of days. She's maybe a month old. My friend said that it looked like another rat had bitten her above her eye, the eye then became swollen and eventually dislodged/detached itself. The eyelids are healing together and there is cuurently no sign of swelling/infection behind it. She does seem to have a slight respiratory infection, though, and her other eye is quite teary. Other than that, she seems like a perfect little rat!

I'll be weighing her momentarily and get her started on Baytril. Hopefully she'll be able to see the vet tomorrow between my class and my exam!

Really appreciate all the comments! Good to know how other rats have behaved!

Little update! LEELA is fabulous. The vet examined her eye and found that there is, in fact, an eye in there! She said it looked very damaged- a slit in it. We've got her on Baytril and an eye ointment antibiotic. I've seen her eye a little bit, but I don't think it's functional. The vet says as long as it doesn't show signs of infection to just leave her be after her antibiotic course. However, should an infection pop up, the vet wants to complete the removal of the eye and clean out the area.

She's still sneezy and wheezy, but she runs around like a mad woman! She has so much energy and looks and acts healthy. The Baytril is for that... I will be calling Monday to see if something should be added to the Baytril.

One thing about little Leela- SHE POOPS IN HER FOOD BOWL!!! I've caught her doing it! There is maybe one or two poops outside the bowl in her carrier, but the vast majority are in the bowl on top of her food. Why??????? LOL Is this going to be something she always does? I've never had one that poops in the bowl before, but my current crew will pick up stray raisins and put them on top of the lab block bowl occasionally.

Thanks again!

Back