Bringing Eloise to the Vet for Red Tears

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scanrat

I posted about this earlier, but decided to start a new topic since I originally thought they were fighting, and posted about fighting in the subject line instead of health issues.

I found some pictures of rats with read tears (forgot the scientific name of the substance) and that seems to be exactly what is going on with my three. They seem to be acting normally otherwise, but I decided to call my vet just in case. I read that sometimes red tears are normal, but the fact that all three started showing them when they hadn't before worries me.

I've been watching them and they do seem to be scratching a bit. Nothing extreme but maybe a little more than normal. they don't have any scratches or scabby spots, but Eloise and Coco have some greasy spots on their rump. On Eloise it is kind of a dark substance. Its not that extreme, but unusual. Any ideas?

I'll update when I go to the vet (next Saturday). They said it would be easier to fit me in just taking one at first.

They could be starting something. It's always a good thing to get them vet checked.
Porphyrin can be a symptoms of many things, but mainly stress. Stress due to illness or stress due to change.
Mites/lice can definitely cause them to be stressed. And doing a mite treatment as a preventative is a good plan too :thumbup:

I took Eloise in today. I've been to this (exotics) vet before but not for rats. She listened to her lungs and said everything sounded clear. She said that respiratory infections are common this time of year because of the temperature changes. She couldn't find anything wrong but gave me baytril for all three girls since they are all showing signs, as a precaution. she even checked out Coco and Penelope for free. She thought it might be allergies (although would be unusual for all three to show signs) or a sinus infection.

does this sound right? just want to make sure!

as a bonus they can special order oxbow regal rat for me, since they already get oxbow shipments in regularly. I haven't been able to find it in my area, and shipping is so expensive online!

Sounds quite right. But if you are going to do the Baytril, they should be on it for at least 4 weeks. Stopping short can make their bacteria resistant to Baytril and that could be detrimental to their health.

Back