Bren's rattie questions...*More Q's added 1/14*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bren

I had no idea where to post this at (since there isn't a "Ratties Question" board, so if it's in the wrong place I appoligize...

* = New questions

My Questions:
  • 1. Is it true that Ratties need to be fed meat? If so, which kinds and is it to be cooked first?
    2. Is it best to give Ratties bottled water?
    3. Are wooden and rawhide bird toys safe for Ratties? If so, is the rope safe as well?
    4. What is the best/recommended room temp for a Rattie?
    5. Can mesh wire be used to make a floor level in a cage? If so, which kind is best and what is best to use to attach it to the cage?
    6. What is best to use for cleaning plastic items in a cage, especially if urine smells become a problem?
    *7. How often should Yogies be given to my ratties? Do they have to be a certain age before I give them to them?
    *8. Has anyone gave this (http://www.craftyrat.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FS-002&Category_Code=FS) to their Ratties? Is it safe for them?
    *9. Is it ok/safe to trim Ratties nails?

ok thats it for now, when I think of more questions I will update this post. And thank you all for any help

1. You can give your rats meat but, if you are feeding lab blocks (which are formulated for rats and have everything that they need) you don't have to feed meat to them. You can feed it to them as a treat if you want to though. We all know how much ratties and ratMoms and ratDads love treats!! I would definitely serve it cooked though, just to be safe. Not to mention that you get kissed with that mouth, wouldn't want raw-meat-kisses, would you? :)

2. It is best to give ratties non-fluoridated and non-chlorinated water. Bottled water or filtered water would fit this.

3. I haven't had any problems yet with wooden bird toys or rawhide. Remember though that rawhide can be a pretty good breeding ground for bacteria if it gets wet, so I try to avoid rawhide. That is a personal decision though, maybe other people use it and are okay with it? I do try to freeze anything that goes into the cages first though, just to be safe. I don't really see that the ropes would be an issue but I prefer to get toys with metal chains so that they last longer when I hang them in the cage. :wink:

4. I'm not sure of this one... I would say that if it is comfy for you, it's probably fine for your rat. In the wintertime, though, be sure to have a humidifier in the room so the air doesn't get to dry.

5. You will want a metal mesh that your rats feet will be comfortable on and one that you don't have to worry about feet slipping through. Almost any mesh will work though if you cover it with a double layer of fleece to make those paws happy! For plain fleece-less floors, I would try to get something powder coated to avoid rusting. Use plastic zip-ties to secure the new floors in place. Easy for you to cut through but not so much for the ratties. Not to mention that it will hold like there's no tomorrow!!

6. I like to soak my plastics in hot water then give them a good scrub-down with Nature's Miracle. It's safe for pets and not as harsh as bleach. Bleach will work too, but be careful of the concentrations and be sure to rinse thoroughly and let dry completely. Also be sure that the bleach smell is totally gone so that your rats don't have to smell it all day. Can't possibly be good for little lungs!

Hope this helps! I had some time on my hands, can you tell? LOL!! :thewave:

***EDIT: Hello Spell Check!! LOL!! :oops:

My answers would be similar, except for number three where I would add that rawhide, when ingested, expands quite a bit. Often dogs that chow down their rawhide too fast end up throwing it up, so I'm sure a rat with a belly full of rawhide wouldn't be too comfy.

And, as for plastic objects, I wash mine with dish soap, rinse well and then spray with vinegar/water

Is the rope on bird toys safe for rats? There is the cotton kind, which is OK, but there is also a frayed kind of rope that I don't know about.

Good to have the warning about the rawhide. I'd avoid it anyway because of the grossness of the look and smell!

Well water is also fine for ratties. I keep the rat room at a temperature comfortable for me (about 21-23 C), doing my best to minimize sudden changes in temperature.

I also use vinegar to clean plastic cage items. Sometimes I use hydrogen peroxide as well as vinegar. On a regular basis I take stuff out of the cage for a better clean: soaking in the tub with hot soapy water then rinsing.

From working a Water Depot (water treatment store) I learned a lot about water. I just wonder what ecoli and coliform from well water would do to rats. Of course not every well has this, but I am curious.

Back