breathing issues but no sounds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatsForever

Hello!

Byron (whi is about 1 years old) appears to be breathing heavier than my other rats and is puffed-up when he is sleeps. But, the vet hears no sounds in his lungs, he has no red tears, his eating is normal, he has nice pink gums, bright eyes, no behaviour changes (he's still is cuddly self), and when outside the cage he acts perfectly normal. Byron has always been plump but this is puffiness and not fat and the breathing does seem off. Also, I've noticed that when he sleeps Byron stretches himself out (which is unusual) and occasionally sleeps with his head over the edge. The vet thinks he looks and sounds healthy but I'm not convinced. I'm wondering if I should get his lungs and heart x-rayed? Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Linda

If you can afford, it, I'd do it too. Everything you've described sounds like the beginning of lung disease.
Also, something I just found out, kidney disease can also cause laboured breathing. But he's young for that yet.
Also, obese rats (not saying Byron is, just an FYI) will have laboured breathing but yet no lung disease.

Thank you Jorats! The beginning of lung disease (or kidney disease) is not good news :cry: I'll get X-rays done.

Although, Byron is a bit robust but is on a diet (vet's orders).

Back