Boys playing rough is normal, right?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkeld

Hey guys/girls,

A little intro: My two boys Snow and Crash (couldn´t resist ;) ) that I got yesterday seem to be doing fine so far. They weren´t used to being handled at the store, but they came to check me out right aways when I showed interest in the cage and they already take food from me, nibble/lick my hand and even tentatively climb onto it, so I´m confident I´ll be able to handle them soon enough.

Anyways, a long time ago, I had two girls, and from what I remember, they seemed much more peaceful with each other. The boys often squabble and mild squeaking ensues from the one losing the fight (usually Snow, but not always). However, this afternoon, I saw them sleeping huddled up nex to each other. That would be normal behavior for young boys (around 6-7 weeks), right?

And sorry if it´s a dumb question, but it´s been so long since I´ve had pets that I probably worry way too much.

Ah yes, with young boys especially, don't expect to get any sleep at night if they are in your bedroom. LOL

Babies do love to play fight.

Moon said:
Ah yes, with young boys especially, don't expect to get any sleep at night if they are in your bedroom. LOL

Babies do love to play fight.

Ok, that´s reassuring. And no, they´re in the living room. I didn´t have room for them in my bedroom, used to have my girls there back when I was a kid living at my parents. Not sure I would want them there anyway now, it does motivate you to keep the cage super clean, but what would the ladies think? :mrgreen:

Play play play... they do that a lot. I'm surprised your girls didn't do the same. They must have been more mellow in nature. But usually all babies play hard.

jorats said:
Play play play... they do that a lot. I'm surprised your girls didn't do the same. They must have been more mellow in nature. But usually all babies play hard.

Now that you mention it, the girls were older when I got them, that´s probably why.

My girls love to play fight.... They chase each other around the cages, in and out of tubes, hammicks, water dishes, litter dishes, everywhere..... They bite each other, body slam each other... you name it, they do it. And my boys were the same, only more vocal..... Fun to watch.. My husband and I keep score from time to time just for fun.... ;)

Arkeld said:
jorats said:

Now that you mention it, the girls were older when I got them, that´s probably why.

Ah...that totally explains it. :wink2:

Quick update: They´ve quitened down a bit. They still squabble and chase each other around a bit, but less squeaking. I guess they were just figuring out who´s boss in the new cage. :)

Speaking of which, they´re also much more comfortable with me now. We progressed very quickly from taking food from my hands to climbing onto my hands to allowing me to pick them up (always give them a treat after that). They´re not exactly happy to be picked up yet, but cage-cleaning went very well.

Oh, and a collective thanks to all of you here on the forum where I learned about the fleece. It´s brilliant. Needs to be cleaned more often than standard bedding but man is it fast. 5 minutes and I was done. I can remember back when I had standard rodent litter, it was a pain.

Back