Boys not liking HT

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat

Hey guys, I'v noticed lately that my boys don't like their HT blocks anymore, they eat them only as a last resort almost, they eat all their fruits and veggies, and are almost too stubborn to touch the HT. some days i even skip on the veggies and i notice they barely touch the blocks. I still have 3 huge zip loc bags of HT left so i dont want to throw it away. But what are other alternatives that i can mix up with the HT? oxbow is out of the question, because the place i can buy it from charges 14.99 for a 2 pound bag, which is ridiculous! the only two options i can thing of are extrusion and that new kay-tee forti-diet or whatever its called. are there other good ones out there? helpppp lol

My teenage boy Rizzo won't eat his blocks anymore.....he is a little spoiled. :giggle: So I tried only giving him his rat blocks but he would just refuse to eat. :gaah: SO, I have been crunching them up a little and hiding them in other food. I am slowly leaving the chunks bigger and less "other food" hiding them every day. He has been doing a lot better but I have to let him think it's on his terms. :roll:

My new girl doesn't seem to understand that lab blocks (HT and Oxbow) are food. I am concerned that she is not eating enough. She loves veggies but turns her nose up at Cheerios. She had been eating some kind of mix from the dollar store in her previous home, so she thinks that food should be seeds.

I started mixing dissolved HT with baby cereal, and she is now eating that. I give her the occasional sunflower seed in the shell for familiarity. Bit by bit i will reduce the amount of baby cereal and increase the proportion of HT mix. I'll get the vet to check her teeth to make sure there is no problem with chewing.

How long since you opeaned the bag of HT ... blocks go stale after 3 months if not frozen ... was just thinking if they are old, they might not taste as good.

No they are all frozen. I take a new bag out of the freezer everytime they run out of the other bag. So it is always fresh. The girls upstairs are eating the blocks no problem, just my two boys are being stubborn. I'll give extrusion a try and hopefully they will gobble that up.

I say just give it some time. Unless they are losing scary amounts of weight, they will be fine.

Appetite can diminish some with age, so depending on how old they are it may just seem like they're not really eating because they don't need as much.

Back