Bought another FN 142 :S

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Bean

Ok... I need to decide if I should get the FN142 or just get an additional level for the FN...

Pros of FN142:
Tons of space
It's an FN142 :D
I will never have to worry about over-crowding
The males can live in a completely seperate area from the females
When I no longer have males, I could stick the two cages together
I wouldn't have to use a step to clean the top level
I have to hardwire mesh it anyhow, may as well do a whole 142
I can get the 142 immediately with Petsmart's price matching program
I REALLY need the room for when I separate sexes

Cons of the 142:
We are soooo cramped for space right now, I wouldn't have any idea where to put it
It costs twice the price of the additional level
It's a whole extra cage to clean
It will require 2 times as much rat laundry
It would be another whole cage to hardwire mesh instead of just a level
It costs 2 times more than just the additional level
I would have to wait 2-3+ weeks for delivery

I really, REALLY need help deciding! I would LOVE to get another 142 and I have the money for it... but I do NOT have the space for it right now!! I have enough stuff to fill a house in my apartment, right now... I don't think that I should be bringing another whole cage in here, but I can't really wait that long for the additional level to get here >.< As is, I have Willow, Emma and Maverick in a cramped cage until later today when I can get Baby Girl's Frankenstine cage cleaned and move the 3 girls into it and move Baby Girl into a different cage. Brenna and the Brennlets are living in the lower level of the FN.

In less than a week and a half I have to separate the boys out and there isn't nearly enough room to have 3 adult males and 7 babies living in 1 level of a Ferret Nation, even if it is temporary and they will be moving out! More than likely, when the babies move out to their new homes I would close off the top level, have the 3 manrats living on one level and have Baby Girl and a roomie or two living in the other level and Willow, Brenna and the female Brennlets that I keep living in a whole FN... :gaah: :gaah: I don't know what to do!! Please help me decide!!

*puts thinking cap on*

If you don't have room, then you'll probably have to wait for the level...

But waiting is an issue space wise with the rats, you're right about that. *thinks more*

I'd say go ahead and get the full double, you'll need it from the sounds of it. You'd be surprised at where you can find space at when you really need to put something somewhere. :p Ask Asa; does he know of a way it could fit somewhere?

He says "There is no way in hell that we can fit that anywhere in this mess!" but he also says "it will be pretty hard for you to clean the cages up that high" and "there won't be enough room for the boys to move in with the big boys... I think you need another FN" so he's not helpful! LOL!

You could buy another full FN but only use the one level, perhaps store away the unused one? If you put the triple on the floor and not on the stand, it's not that bad. I'm 5'3" and all I need is a small stool to reach in the back of the top one.

moon said:
Hmmm... tricky! I agree with Cait, maybe you need to get rid of some non-rattie stuff!!

LOL! I'm already lookingaround at what can be thrown out! LOL!! I've decided on the Futon, a coffee table and countless boxes that haven't been opened since we moved in 2 years ago!

jorats said:
You could buy another full FN but only use the one level, perhaps store away the unused one? If you put the triple on the floor and not on the stand, it's not that bad. I'm 5'3" and all I need is a small stool to reach in the back of the top one.

How would this be as far as everyone living in it? The Brenlette boys would be moving in with the big boys and then Willow, brenna and the Brennlette girls would be together. I would need an FN142 for each, wouldn't I? But when the boys are all moved out I could convert to a 3 level and store away the other level... that would be GREAT!

I was also thinking that I could move Errol and his tank over into the dining room/library/ it-has-no-table-and-we-keep-everything-in-it room instead of him being below the Air Conditioner now that summer is coming... Which means that we would put the other FN under the Air conditioner... would the rats get too cold with it running overhead?

I agree with Jo....The triple, sitting on the floor, is not as tall as I thought it would be.......It is easy to reach and I only need a small stool to reach way in the back.....
Plus maybe you can find one second hand....and then sell the single....or store it. You will love it as a triple. It looks so fun to see them chase each other from the top all the way to the bottom and back again.....

:joy: :happydance: Alright! I did it!! I bought the 142, bringing our total FN142 collection to 3 (the ferrets have one as well :thumbup: ) When Asa gets home we will have to drag that huge thing up here and then I'll start hardwire meshing it and get it assembled ASAP.

Now... another question... will under the Air Conditioner get too cold? Could I put a healvy board on the top to protect it from getting drafty?

If you can aim the flow up and I would probably cover the top of the cage with....a board or something to block the air from blowing right in the cage.......Congrats on your new FN. Do you have pictures of your ferrets posted? I would love to see them.......

Back