Bloody bits?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tou_

I just have a quick, and slightly stranger question to ask.

Ever since I've had my girls, anytime I go to clean out their house there are alwasy little bloody bits all over their bedding and toiletpaper thats in their house. At first I thought maybe they were just nipping each other too hard when washing and that was causing a little blood to surface, but recently I had another thought, could it perhaps be their ratty "time of the month" further more, do rats even get that the same way as human females do?

I know its sort of a gross and weird question, but it seems kind of realistic if its even possible because they never have cuts on their feet so I dont know how the blood would be getting all over the floor even if it was from them washing each other too hard.

Tou_ said:
I just have a quick, and slightly stranger question to ask.

Ever since I've had my girls, anytime I go to clean out their house there are alwasy little bloody bits all over their bedding and toiletpaper thats in their house. At first I thought maybe they were just nipping each other too hard when washing and that was causing a little blood to surface, but recently I had another thought, could it perhaps be their ratty "time of the month" further more, do rats even get that the same way as human females do?

I know its sort of a gross and weird question, but it seems kind of realistic if its even possible because they never have cuts on their feet so I dont know how the blood would be getting all over the floor even if it was from them washing each other too hard.

Is there any spray on the inside of the base of your cage? This is most likely porphryin...just keep an eye on how much you see. Rats do not have menstrual cycles like humans so blood from the vaginal area is usually a sign of an infection which will need abs at least and possibly a spay to fix.
Blood in the urine is a UTI or internal trauma (recent fall, etc). A UTI is a urinary tract infection which will also need abs. The urine usually is darker and can smell foul.

Take pics of the bloody bits next time for us?

Rats don't have menstruation. (lucky rats!) but it could be porphyrin drops you are seeing. does it look like tiny splatters from a sneeze?

It doesnt look like its from a sneeze, it mostly just looks like one of them bled and then they walked through it (which is why at first i thought maybe their little feeties were bleeding)

My dad also built the house my rats live in, and I made sure that he used ohnly rat-safe materials. I have been noticing lately my one baby has some red around her nose, but the blood on the floor of the cage has been happening since as far back as I can remember.

They seem to be healthy and all, they have normal eating and sleeping habbits so I really dont know what all it could be. I'm kind of worried but I'm trying to keep an eye on them

If it's from bleeding, the spots would be mostly on the floor where they walk or where they pee. Do ever seen any on the sides, the walls, or toys?

I've never seen them on anythign but the floor.

Sometimes I notice my girls have little scabs on their sides, I would assume this is from each other washing each other, so perhaps thats what the blood is from, but the scabs seem to be a new thing (which also kind of worrys me that they are getting agressive towards one another) so I'm really puzzled =S

Scabs usually indicate mites or lice rarely does it mean they are fighting. Maybe it would be a good idea to bring them in to the vet, get them checked out and have a bug treatment.

Back