Bleeding from vagina

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

I've been having a lot of rat trouble lately :cry4:

Here's the most recent one: My sweetheart Duckie has been bleeding from her vagina. She's not wounded there, the blood is actually coming from inside. It's been happening for a few days now but I never knew where it was coming from, I just saw bloody areas in the bed. It's quite a bit of blood, about 1cc or two a day. She seems okay otherwise

Going to the vet as soon as possible but it might not be until Monday.

Any input?

Try get her to the vet before Monday. She'll need to go on a course of antibiotics.

Hopefully it's just a UTI and not anything more serious (pyometra would cause bleeding there too). How is she in herself?

Bleeding vaginally is usually 1 of 3 things. The best result is a genital myco outbreak (its not just respiratory) and this usually clears up very fast on antibiotics. The 2nd is infection in the uterus, which often means a spay, and the 3rd is a tumor.

Definitely time for the vet on Monday, and get her on abs.

Definitely try to get her in before Monday. Unfortunately there are several possibilities, and at least one of those possibilities (uterine infection) is potentially fatal if not treated soon enough. Not to scare you, but this is a potentially very serious issue.

Okay so she's on an antibiotic now. I don't remember what it's called, I'm picking it up tomorrow. The vet didn't do any tests and doesn't know what is wrong with Duckie. She's just trying antibiotics to see if it works.

So if the bleeding stops after she finishes her antibiotics, is that enough to conclude that she's okay? How will I know if she's okay?
I'm afraid that she'll stop bleeding but the problem won't be fixed.

Let us know if you find out what antibiotic it is she's on...... how long is she getting medicine for? Unless it doesn't stop/she keeps bleeding during taking the medicine hopefully the medicine will be enough to solve the problem. If it's an infection then she should be okay.

Okay so she's on chlorpalm for 2 weeks. I can't find any info on Chlorpalm, is this a long enough dosage?

Also, she stopped bleeding before I started giving her the medication... so... I'm just worried that she'll show no symptoms but still be ill. What should I do?

jorats said:
Whenever my guys had a bladder infection, 2 weeks of Chlorpalm always did the trick.

It's not a bladder infection. She did test a bit of urine to rule that out. She didn't do any test beyond that though, so we don't know what it is. I was kinda hoping it would be a bladder infection, because the other possibilities sound so awful

If there is something really wrong and the antibiotics aren't working, will there be obvious signs? I'm just afraid something's gonna sneak up on her because she seems COMPLETELY FINE, but was bleeding quite a bit a few days ago.

Back