Bleeding from bum - HELP!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argent

I've been out since early this morning, and at almost 11pm, I've finally had a chance to check on my boys...only to find the cage splattered with blood...my first concern was whether there'd been a bad fight, so I rounded them all up and checked them over...not a scratch...no one's missing a toe or tail tip so my next thought was uti...so I checked all their undersides...to find that Mako's anus is the one covered in dry blood. It's hard to tell if it's bright or dark because it's most likely had a chance to congeal by now.

It's stained the newspaper quite vividly and dried down the base of his tail too. He doesn't seem any worse off than usual, in fact he has less porphyrin around his eyes now than he has in the past week. This can only have happened today while I've been out so it's a very recent development. I'm taking him to the vets first thing in the morning (he's been twice since I've had him, and both times was checked over and deemed lump-free), I need to find out what this is, but does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for keeping him comfy tonight?
I may just bring down the hamster cage so that he doesn't get hassled overnight.

Hopefully it's just a scratch. Another thing to think on, could it be urinary and he sat in his blood which made it look like it's coming from the anus?
Let us know what the vet says! Good luck!!

I took him to the vet this morning and upon a thorough investigation and a few nervous poos, it was proven there was nothing wrong going on inside :p Holding Mako-chan still for the vets revealed he did in fact have a bitemark right on his pooper D8 which bled profusely, but he's otherwise fine 8D
If anyone wants to see the blood photos, just pm me - it looked like a massacre in the cage, over a tiny bite wound! So I've been given 5 days worth of baytril (i know...but it was a new vet and doesn't know how much I know so she wouldn't trust me probably) just to prevent him getting an infection in the wound but he's perfectly fine! >.<

Oh I know! You wouldn't believe how relieved I was when she showed me the bite marks XD My mum couldn't believe he'd been bitten right there and wanted to put some savlon on it or something haha

Back